National Charter Schools Week, May 7-13, will commence the annual celebration of charter schools and our community of educators, parents, students, and leaders.
In conjunction with Teacher Appreciation Week, this year's celebration will focus on the contribution of charter school teachers and honor seven exceptional teachers with the annual Changemaker awards, recognizing these leaders for using their ideas, talents, and platforms to advance educational opportunity for all. For the entire week, the National Alliance will highlight and celebrate the impactful and life-changing work teachers do for students and communities every day.
Schedule of events
- Sunday, May 7: Begin the week with gratitude and use #ThankATeacher on social media to share how teachers make a positive impact on our lives.
- Monday, May 8: The official announcement of the federal 2023 Champions for Charter Schools.
- Tuesday, May 9: The release of the 2023 Charter Schools Program Impact Report with the latest data and stories of the program’s effectiveness.
- Wednesday, May 10: An event in Washington, D.C. with the seven teachers honored with the 2023 Changemaker award and our eight federal Champions for Charter Schools (see below for more details to attend!).
- Thursday, May 11: A recap of the teacher Changemakers panel.
- Friday, May 12: Share your favorite moments on social media with #CharterLove.
- Saturday, May 13: Keep the celebration going by finding ways to get involved.
Join the celebration with our 2023 celebration toolkit!
Meet the 2023 Changemaker Teachers
We are thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2023 Changemaker award, all seven of whom are public charter school teachers or founders. These individuals are unique in their communities, but together, are representative of the educator who thrives in public charter schools: one who has the ability to personalize teaching and act autonomously to meet the differing needs of the students in their classroom.
Meet the seven 2023 Changemaker teachers and read their Q&As!
Tune in to the 2023 Changemaker awards ceremony & panel
The 2023 Changemakers will also engage in a live panel discussion on why they chose to become educator, how we can better support them, and their experience at a charter school. The discussion will be led by George Parker, senior advisor of school support at the National Alliance and a former teachers' union leader, and may have a surprise appearance by one (or more!) of our 2023 Champions for Charters.
Tune in live on YouTube to hear from a panel of these awardees as a part of an event on Capitol Hill on May 10 at 10 a.m. ET.
Sign up to receive announcements
Fill out the form to receive updates from the National Alliance with special announcements related to National Charter Schools Week 2023!