Each year, the U.S. Department of Education recognizes a cohort of exemplary schools from around the country as National Blue Ribbon Schools. Schools are honored either as Exemplary High-Performing Schools, for top academic achievement in each state, or as Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools, for exceptional growth in closing achievement gaps between student groups.
This recognition is especially significant given the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2022 National Blue Ribbon schools have shown incredible resilience throughout the pandemic, consistently meeting the needs of their students and communities while maintaining high levels of academic achievement.
This year we celebrate the 15 charter schools honored as 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Masada Charter School (Colorado City, AZ)
- Colfax Charter Elementary School (Valley Village, CA)
- Helix High School (La Mesa, CA)
- DC Preparatory Academy Benning Elementary Campus (Washington, DC)
- Sela Public Charter School (Washington, DC)
- Pioneer Charter School of Science II (Saugus, MA)
- Seven Hills Preparatory Academy (Bloomington, MN)
- The Birches Academy of Academics and Art Chartered Public School (Salem, NH)
- Albuquerque School of Excellence (Albuquerque, NM)
- ICAHN Charter School 2 (The Bronx, NY)
- New Visions Charter High School for Advanced Math & Science II (The Bronx, NY)
- South Bronx Classical Charter III (The Bronx, NY)
- Southeastern Academy (Lumberton, NC)
- Brashier Middle College Charter High School (Simpsonville, SC)
- Grand Prairie Collegiate Institute (Grand Prairie, TX)
Congratulations to all the 2022 National Blue Ribbon Schools and thank you for your commitment to excellence and equity!
Fiona Sheridan-McIver is the director of policy at the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.