Each year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program from the U.S. Department of Education recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. And each year, a number of public charter schools make the cut and are recognized for their outstanding work on behalf of students.
This year we celebrate the 19 charter schools awarded as 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools:
- Eagle Academy Charter School (Alaska)
- Mexicayotl Charter School (Arizona)
- Alliance Judy Ivie Burton Technology Academy High School (California)
- LaVerne Elementary Preparatory Academy (California)
- Meadows Arts and Technology Elementary School (California)
- Wilder's Preparatory Academy Charter Middle (California)
- Highline Academy Southeast (Colorado)
- KIPP DC Lead Academy (Washington, D.C.)
- Somerset Academy Middle South Miami (Florida)
- Somerset Academy Miramar South (Florida)
- Academy for Classical Education (Georgia)
- Johnson Elementary School (Georgia)
- Herron High School (Indiana)
- South Bronx Classical Charter School (New York)
- Constellation Schools: Westpark Community Elementary School (Ohio)
- John Rex Charter School (Oklahoma)
- Kingston Hill Academy (Rhode Island)
- Vista Academy of Austin-Mueller (Texas)
- Poder Academy (Wyoming)
Thank you for your work serving students!
Melinda Tolliver is the senior manager of digital strategy at the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.