POSITION: Upper Grade (3-5) Elementary School Teacher (2020-21) (BCLAD Spanish/BASP)
START DATE: 8/1/20
REPORTS TO: Principal
CITY CHARTER SCHOOLS operates two progressive, high-achieving, project-based schools that serve a diverse student body reflective of the full range of socioeconomic, cultural, and racial diversity in Los Angeles. City Language Immersion Charter (CLIC) offers TK-5th grade students an innovative, dual language immersion program (Spanish/English) in the West Adams neighborhood of Los Angeles. The City School is one of the top performing middle schools in LA offering a student-centered, problem and project-based curriculum in a safe and supportive community. Both schools have become a national model for social-emotional learning and development (see our approach at www.selforteachers.org).
Our staff love kids, love working at our schools, and believe strongly in our core principles of practice: Community, Diversity, and Excellence. Teachers at City experience curricular freedom, lots of professional development and collaboration, and true voice and input into the school's operations. Class sizes are small to allow for a rich and demanding inquiry-based program that incorporates social justice themes and student-led projects. For more information, see www.citycharterschools.org.
City Charter Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A love of students and demonstrated strength building meaningful relationships with the age group they teach
- Enthusiasm for the schools values, mission and core guiding principles
- A desire to work with a collaborative team of educators
- Proven commitment to constructivism, multiple assessments, data driven instruction and a collaborative approach to teaching and learning
- 2+ years of experience teaching in the subject area applying for, or equivalent
Minimum required qualifications:
- Experience at a dual language immersion/bilingual school and fluency in target language – Spanish
- California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and a BCLAD or equivalent credential (or willingness to transfer out-of-state credential to CA before 8/2020)
Responsibilities will include:
- Create a safe and supportive classroom culture that prioritizes relationships with and among students
- Develop and refine standards-based curriculum maps, lessons, and units of study emphasizing active learning strategies and problem-based learning
- Assess student progress and maintain accurate records
- Use data to tailor instruction to meet individual student academic and social needs with a goal of every student performing on-grade level or above in all subject areas
- Maintain the school’s student management policies and procedures (i.e., attendance records, etc.) and report to the school administrators when necessary
- Maintain effective supervision and discipline in the classroom
- Work with other teachers, support personnel and administrators to address and resolve student issues
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, team meetings, and task forces
- Participate in professional development activities, and apply new strategies in alignment with school’s educational philosophy
- Frequently communicate and engage with students’ families, colleagues, and other school stakeholders
- Participate as an active member of the community to provide stewardship of the school and adhere to its mission and guiding principles
- Comply with mandatory reporter requirements
- Comply with all school safety procedures and drills
- Ensure that students are supervised at all times
- Ensure that the classroom is safe and clean
- Use technology, the Internet, and software applications effectively and efficiently to carry out duties
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance
Once offered a position, candidates will need to:
- Complete TB clearance or risk assessment
- Complete DOJ/FBI Background check (Livescan)
- Have timely completion of all required mandated trainings
- This position will work in office, classrooms, and indoor and outdoor environments. Daily walking around campus is required. Driving may be required for school business.
- Extended viewing of computer monitor
- Contact with ill students
- Possible contact with bloodborne pathogens
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to operate computers. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by school needs. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. This job description is subject to change at any time.