PLEASE APPLY AT; https://www.fivekeyscharter.org/open-positions
Through the use of social and restorative justice principles, Five Keys provides traditionally underserved communities the opportunity to improve their lives through a focus on the Five Keys: EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT, RECOVERY, FAMILY, COMMUNITY.
Five Keys Overview
Five Keys was founded in 2003 by the San Francisco Sheriffs Department as the first accredited charter high school in the nation to provide diploma programs for adults in county jails. Today we are a much different social justice non-profit agency that has expanded its charter schools into 9 counties, in 24 jail locations and over 80 community learning centers. In addition to our schools, now we also run multiple homeless shelters, employment programs, programs for the unsheltered, reentry programs and housing for women suffering from immense injustice.
Our Core Competencies
A well qualified candidate has the capacity to communicate effectively, collaborate with others while building positive relationships, demonstrates strong problem solving skills, has a dynamic learning mindset, and remains committed to a high level of cultural and social awareness. A successful candidate will work well under pressure, observe appropriate boundaries and operate with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
What its really like to join our agency
At Five Keys, culture matters. Culture is at the very core of everything we do and impact on a daily basis. Weve made a commitment to building an inclusive culture that seeks collaboration over hierarchy to create empowered work teams.
We serve vulnerable populations daily and we strive to approach everyone with compassion, patience and a trauma informed approach. We choose to push past discomfort to have difficult conversations to impact the greater good. This allows us the opportunity to collaboratively create an inclusive culture and transform the world around us.
We offer very low monthly costs for medical insurance - deductible and all in-network, out-of-pocket expenses paid for by Five Keys! Dental, vision and life insurance premiums paid by Five Keys and various pre-tax flexible spending accounts and retirement account 403b. Generous time off. Annual reimbursement up to $100 towards gym membership, smoking cessation and weight loss programs. Annual reimbursement up to $50 towards annual athletic event participation and annual massage after 6 months of employment. FREE access to wellness-related apps, Employee Assistance Program and Talkspace online therapy for you and your dependents.
The Teacher position reports to the Principal and is accountable for creating a learning and work environment of mutual respect and fairness, while encouraging creative and critical thinking through an equity lens. Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to providing direct teaching and instruction, grading assignments, customizing the curriculum so its impactful for our unique student population, evaluating students progress, and planning educational activities. It will be vital to provide knowledge and instruction to students while also helping them develop their academic and life skill-sets that radiate throughout their lives post-graduation.
We are looking for someone who insists on maintaining a positive attitude and enjoys supporting a diverse group of people. If this job is for you, you are able to drive the students interest in education, in alignment with California's teaching standards.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Build a classroom culture of excellence and deliver rigorous instruction by building content expertise in core curriculum that is captured in units of study and daily plans
● Engage in cycles of data-driven instruction to inform planning and personalize instruction to student needs
● Collaborate with special education staff so students identified as needing extra support are meaningfully included
● Provide individualized educational planning to ensure students meet their educational goals
● Maintain confidentiality when dealing with student and staff information
● Ensure staffing and coverage of classroom(s) in the event of illness or time off
● Abide by all Five Keys policies and procedures and adhere to partner guidelines
● Maintain effective working relationships with our partners
● Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students of all ages, from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds
● Ability to interact with students using a trauma informed approach
● Other duties as assigned
● Teaches CCSS-aligned courses in their subject area, such as science, biology, English, social studies, mathematics, fine arts and other relevant electives
● Use a trauma-informed approach to support and encourage students to succeed and adjust teaching strategies as needed
● Maintain classroom management to ensure a safe learning space
● Instruct students using a hybrid learning approach
● Introduce fresh ideas, ability to differentiate lessons, and utilize effective teaching strategies for both online education and in-person instruction to support student success, while adhering to common core standards
● Adapt teaching pedagogy to meet the needs of our diverse student population
● Provide instruction to students in a variety of different settings including but not limited to, one-on-one, small group, and whole class
● Maintain systems of compliance to ensure student records are updated on time and in accordance to state and school standards
● Support students with accelerated learning outcomes including maintaining progress reports for students monthly
● Utilize, collect, and analyze rigorous, student-engaged assessments, both formative and summative, to identify and address students’ areas of growth and mastery of learning objectives
● Commit to doing and being your best, and to growing your skills as professionals and as individuals
● Attend all professional development meetings and opportunities that may exceed the regular school day, hours vary depending on site
● Urgently and courageously takes actions in the best interest of students, even if they are new or unfamiliar
● Meet all professional obligations and proactively communicate when changes happen
● Exhibit a high level of honest and humble self-reflection, owning good and bad outcomes
● Effectively respond to and implement constructive feedback
● Communicate effectively with colleagues and contribute to positive staff culture
● Collaborate with all stakeholders to ensure that all students have consistent and well-coordinated support
Student and Parent Partnership
● Partner with all students and families through frequent communication, building trusting relationships, and embracing the knowledge parents have as their student's first teacher
● Build authentic relationships with families that form the foundation for frequent ongoing communications to support student success
● Engage with families on academic and behavioral goals and transparently share student progress so that both parents and teachers own each student's successes and challenges
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
● Knowledge of trauma informed practices in education
● Effective methodology and techniques to ensure students are successful and graduate
● Basic technology knowledge and willingness to learn new IT systems and software
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
● Previous teaching experience preferred
● Must have a valid K-12 California Teaching Credential to be eligible for employment (preliminary or clear, will consider intern), such as:
● PREFERRED: Single Subject K-12 Credential
● ACCEPTABLE: Multiple Subject Credential
● NOT ACCEPTABLE: CTE, Adult Education, Emergency or Substitute Credentials/Permits
● To promote the health and safety of its employees, those we serve and our local communities, Five Keys requires that all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and/or adhere to all weekly testing and safety measures. Employees may also request and receive approval for an exemption from this policy. Exemptions are granted to accommodate a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
● Must wear provided PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and adhere to all safety guidelines and requirements, when needed
● Moderate to extensive degree of physical and emotional stamina
● Travel to multiple sites may be required
● Frequent and prolonged standing, walking, and sitting
● Frequent talking and hearing conversations
● Occasional reaching with hands and arms
● Occasionally lifting up to 25 lbs
● Ability to follow oral directions in emergency situations
This position is contingent upon:
● Satisfactory results of a Live Scan (criminal background investigation)
● Successfully obtaining jail clearance for positions working in county jails or probation locations
● Submitting proof of clear TB results. Results dated within 60 days prior to hire date are acceptable
● Must be willing and able to travel state-wide to various locations or meetings as needed
● Moderate to high noise level
● Work environment varies from site to site
● Some personal safety risk working in underserved communities
At Five Keys, we understand that when our employees grow, the agency has a greater capacity to thrive and accomplish its mission. It is for this reason that we remain committed to providing ongoing professional development opportunities for all of our employees. These include but are not limited to: conferences, staff development training, and coaching plans that allow incumbents to grow into new positions within and across programs within the agency (i.e., programs, schools, housing).