Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Elementary Programs, the Summer Education Specialist will be responsible for ensuring quality implementation of Reader's Workshop across classrooms at their assigned site. This is an exciting opportunity for strong teacher-leaders with administrative or coaching ambitions.
Like all DREAM staff, Education Specialists should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
* Supervise instruction to ensure quality implementation of Reader's Workshop
* Conduct periodic observations using REAL Kids Instructional Observation Tool;
* Provide feedback to Summer Reading Teachers, Interventionists, Enrichment Specialists and Youth Workers;
* Work collaboratively with Campus Manager and Operations Staff to ensure a high-quality, fun, and rigorous program;
* Maintain open communication with Instructional Team;
* Survey Instructional Staff's material needs;
* Manage end of summer reading level data collection;
* Provide creative and innovative supplemental resources (ex. ReadWorks) as needed;
* Codify routines, procedures, and plans for REAL Kids.
* BA in Early Childhood Education, MA preferred;
* Literacy specialty a plus;Experience using data to make intervention-related decisions;
* At least 3 years of lead classroom teaching experience;
* Experience providing feedback and support to teachers, teacher assistants, administrators;
* Desire to gain administrative experience
* Deep embodiment of DREAM's mission and values, including a belief that all children can succeed;Must be able to work in-person at the program site during program hours.
Tentative days and hours:
June 28 to August 13, 2021
Education Specialist hours:
Program dates and hours are tentative and subject to change.
COMPENSATION: Starts at $40/hour
East Harlem sites:
PS 146 - 421 East 106th Street
DREAM Charter School (East Harlem) - 1991 Second Avenue
South Bronx sites:
PS 18 - 502 Morris Avenue
DREAM Charter School (Mott Haven) - 411 Wales Avenue
Highbridge - PS 73 - 1020 Anderson Avenue
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.