At Ascend, we're excited about educators who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
The role of the student services coordinator, a certified special education professional, is twofold: (1) s/he shall work across the school (all grade levels and content areas) serving students with special needs through small-group pull-out instruction, whole-group instruction, or support for scholars “pushing in” to the general education classroom; and (2) as the school's primary contact with the Department of Education's Office of Special Education, s/he is responsible for directly managing the relationship to ensure that the school complies with applicable laws and regulations, and maintains accurate and up-to-date records and other documentation.
The student services coordinator works in conjunction with the school's instructional leaders to ensure that the school provides the academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the schools' core academic programs.
Why extraordinary teachers teach at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/our-approach/middle-school-program/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The student services coordinator will coordinate staff professional development in the areas of special education, 504s, at-risk RTI support, ENL and other related services, as well as, support the SETSS teachers, ENL teachers, Integrated Co-teachers, and other instructional staff. Student services coordinator responsibilities also include:
* Implementing IEPs and managing the provision of direct services by related service providers approved by the New York City Department of Education
* Designing differentiated instruction and administering rigorous, standards-based assessments to serve students needing special services
* Ensuring that all general education teachers know of, understand, and implement all classroom accommodations and modifications required by IEPs and 504 plans
* Working with the school's certified special education professionals to share best practices across schools in the Ascend network and resolve any school-based crises expeditiously
* Ensuring that all schools create, implement, and monitor RTI/RTB through weekly data-driven meetings and planning sessions with the support of the school-based teams
* Creating, implementing and reviewing 504 plans
As a special education teacher, the coordinator will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum and collaboratively teach with a general education teacher in an inclusion classroom and differentiate instruction for students with special needs. Additionally, the special education responsibilities include:
* Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs
* Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The student services coordinator and special education teacher reports to the school director. He or she also works closely with, the dean of instruction and director of student services.
* A master's degree and NYS charter certification required
* Full-time classroom experience and a demonstrated track record of propelling students' academic growth and mastery
* Experience teaching in underserved areas is preferred
* Demonstrate an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels and that scholars with disabilities are as capable of greatness as general education scholars
* Manifest a total commitment to do whatever it takes to prepare all of the school's students for college
* Demonstrate a record of producing dramatic student achievement gains as a teacher in a tightly disciplined setting
* Have exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
* Be passionate about urban education and closing the achievement gap
* Be committed to education standards, statewide testing, and accountability
* Be prepared to invest in building relationships with students
* Value being effective over being creative
* Have a “can do” attitude and be a team player, relentless in the pursuit of the school's academic objectives; hard-working and willing to take feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/hb2ymwjrqxc8xq94