Pathways In Education (PIE) is an Alternative Learning Opportunities Program (ALOP) serving grades 9-12 in the Chicago community. Pathways considers the unique needs of every student, allowing access to small group classes, guided independent study, online courses, and experiential learning, to address each student's individual strengths and needs.
Are you an educator that wants to make an impact in students’ lives? Do you believe that every student should have the opportunity for success? If so, Pathways is the place for you! PIE is looking for educators that are warm, outgoing, authentic, passionate and inspiring. PIE places great emphasis on the student-teacher relationship, a critical component to the development of students’ personal, emotional, and academic well-being.
Pathways In Education is looking for a Special Education Teacher with an LBS-1 credential for grades 9-12 to work at the Brighton Park center. The Special Education Teacher will have the following responsibilities:
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to the following:*
▪ Provide instruction to students with special needs and identified learning disabilities in a Special Education teacher program
▪ Tutor individual and small groups of students, reinforcing language and reading concepts
▪ Administer and score individual and group tests
▪ Schedule IEP meetings, coordinating schedules with parents, general education teacher(s), administrator, and all appropriate
special education staff
▪ Conduct IEP meetings
▪ Communicate and coordinate special needs evaluation and testing with speech teacher, psychologist, and other service
▪ Communicate with parents regarding individual student progress and conduct
▪ Maintain progress records and record progress toward IEP goals
▪ Record progress within the independent study program
▪ Perform other duties in support of the Special Education teacher program
▪ Support other academic programs offered within the independent study program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
● Special Education teacher Certificate (LBS I)
● Ability to teach students of grades 6-12
● Ability to work with student of all ages
● Ability to understand, adopt, and support the independent study program, concepts and their philosophies
● Ability to organize and present ideas effectively in oral and written form.
● Ability to make skillful decisions
● Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
● Ability to operate a PC computer, word processor, copier, FAX, and other office machines.
Education and Experience:
● Minimum BA degree or equivalent.
● Current Illinois Professional Educator License
● Endorsement: Learning Behavior Specialist I (LBS I)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package to full-time staff that includes paid time off, holiday and sick time, medical, vision and dental coverage, incentives and an employer-matched 403(b) plan. PIE provides our staff opportunities to chaperone students on experiential learning trips to amazing places like Italy, Cuba and China as well as U.S. based trips to DC, a ranch in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and a farm in Northern California. We regularly hold social functions to foster a genuine camaraderie that enhances teamwork. At our company-wide award functions, we take time to recognize the talent and dedication of the people who make PIE and our students successful. To learn more about our schools, visit us at www.il.pathways in education.org.
Pathways in Education embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please use the following link to complete our online application.