At Ascend, we're excited about educators who are committed to educational excellence and are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. At Ascend we invest in your professional growth—training, supporting, and collaborating with you every step of the way. Join us as we foster our students' innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think, imagine, and create.
Ascend school directors are the academic and cultural leaders of their schools. We seek leaders who are passionate about achieving their schools' academic and organizational goals, who develop enduring relationships with students, teachers, parents, community members, and other stakeholders, and who build and maintain a strong presence for the school in the community. At Ascend, we value leaders with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
The school director role is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to play a central leadership role in growing and shaping one of our high-performing public charter schools, committed to helping students achieve academic excellence from kindergarten through college and beyond.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a growing network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,000 students across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn and offering a new model for public education. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
Visit our website - http://www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the Ascend approach.
Ascend school directors implement a high-quality, rigorous, college-preparatory program that is consistent with Ascend's mission and vision. Additionally, the school director will:
* Ensure achievement of targeted academic and cultural results
* Use data to inform practice and drive decision-making and instruction at the school
* Define and build a school culture of unrelentingly high expectations where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take risks
* Build a collaborative team of adults who feel jointly responsible for the attainment of school goals and committed to achieving excellence
* Working with the Ascend network, manage, develop and evaluate the school's leadership team and faculty to build a culture of relentless self-improvement among the entire school
* Serve as the key external spokesperson for the school, conveying the school's mission and building strong relationships with constituents, including students, teachers, parents, and community members
* Manage human resource functions, including recruiting new teachers, developing retention strategies, and performing regular performance reviews in accordance with Ascend guidelines
* Ensure and manage positive school-parent relations with the goal of achieving high levels of parent satisfaction and a strong family-school partnership
* Work with the director of operations to oversee the school's operations, finances and compliance functions to achieve Ascend's ambitious charter goals
* Ensure special education and ENL compliance
* 3-5 years middle school teaching experience with a proven track record of elevating student achievement, preferably in urban schools
* At least three years in a leadership role that involves instructional coaching with a proven track record of elevating student achievement, preferably in urban schools
* At least three years in leading with direct management of adults or teams of adults resulting in a proven track record of improved effectiveness
* Bachelor's degree, with advanced degree preferred
Skills, traits, and beliefs
* Ability to be a bold, tireless and engaging change agent and culture-creator; a visionary; a leader who inspires and motivates students and adults
* Exceptional self-motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and team orientation
* Problem-solving skills, with a combination of confidence and humility
* Effective communication skills, both oral and written
* Excellent organization and planning skills, with strong attention to detail
* Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
* Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect and an accurate idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses
* Absolute integrity
* Relentless commitment to preparing every student for college
* Commitment to improving the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; a dedication to whatever it takes to help all the school's students achieve academic success
* Passion for academic learning and insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
* Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers - http://www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/stn83xnp4m4xfsg5