Ascend resident directors work closely with host school directors as the academic and cultural leaders of their schools. They serve as a dean of instruction for at least one grade within their host school, leading and managing all aspects of the dean of instruction role.
They also choose an individualized stretch project that supports a growth area aligned to the needs of the school. Finally, in addition to shadowing their host principal, resident directors participate in hands-on, collaborative professional development sessions on Saturdays, which are led by network directors with backgrounds in school leadership or other relevant specialized expertise.
The resident director role is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to play a central leadership role in growing and shaping one of our high-performing public charter schools, committed to helping students achieve academic excellence from kindergarten through college and beyond.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend:
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/about/.
The middle school resident school director will perform all dean of instruction responsibilities for assigned grades/subjects at host school and ensure achievement of targeted academic results. Additionally, the resident school director will:
* Use data to drive instruction and school-wide decision-making
* Define and build a school culture of unrelentingly high expectations where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks
* Build a collaborative team of adults who feel jointly responsible for the attainment of school goals and committed to achieving excellence for assigned grades/subjects at host school
* Working with school director, manage, develop and evaluate an emerging leader
* Lead a stretch project that supports individual growth goals and also benefits the school
* Shadow the host school director when she serves as the key external spokesperson for the school, conveying the school's mission and building strong relationships with constituents, including students, teachers, parents, and community members
* Shadow the school director as she manages aspects of human resource functions, including recruiting new teachers, developing retention strategies, and performing regular performance reviews in accordance with Ascend guidelines
* Shadow the school director as she ensures and manages positive school-parent relations with the goal of achieving high levels of parent satisfaction
* Shadow the school director in aspects of her work with the director of operations, aspects of overseeing the school's operations, finances and compliance functions to achieve Ascend's ambitious charter goals
* Participate in collaborative professional development sessions with peer resident directors, demonstrating the ability to independently execute application-based tasks demonstrating a high capacity for critical thinking and strong managerial skills
* Expertise in teaching and working with scholars at the middle school level
* 3-5 years teaching experience with a proven track record of elevating student achievement, preferably in urban schools
* At least one year in a leadership role in a school with demonstrable results, preferably in urban schools
* Record of success in leading adults; prior experience with direct management and supervision
* Bachelor's degree, with advanced degree preferred
Skills, traits, and beliefs
* Ability to be a bold, tireless and engaging change agent and culture-creator; a visionary; a leader who inspires and motivates students and adults
* Exceptional self-motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and team orientation
* Problem-solving skills, with a combination of confidence and humility
* Effective and winning communication skills, both oral and written
* Excellent organization and planning skills, with strong attention to detail
* Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
* Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect and an accurate idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses
* Absolute integrity
* Relentless commitment to preparing every student for college
* Commitment to improving the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; a dedication to doing whatever it takes to help all the school's students achieve academic success
* Passion for academic learning and insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
* Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/rspr9cxrcwpypywj