Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing public charter schools committed to preparing scholars to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as financially literate professionals and positive leaders. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates nearly 500 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8 and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-10 in 2018-
A pioneer in financial literacy education, Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all scholars especially English Language Learners. In 2017, our scholars were #1 in ELL Achievement in Math, #1 in Hispanic Achievement in Math, and #1 in African-American Achievement in Math. Intrepid was also #1 in composite growth among all middle and high schools in Nashville and in the top 1% in the state for growth during the 2016-2017 school year. 96.7%
of Intrepid’s Algebra I students demonstrated On-Track/Mastered performance during the 2016-2017 school year.
Our work grows scholars academically, financially, and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the work force, raising expectations for academic excellence, financial acumen and ethical leadership.
Teach Music at Independence Academy
Music Teachers are passionate about supporting the school's classical mission and helping all students gain
knowledge of music. Music Teachers’ primary responsibilities are to:
• Provide instruction in music education to scholars in a way that maximizes learning.
• Maintain a “no-excuses,” highly ordered classroom culture where scholars demonstrate professionalism,
rigor, initiative, discipline and endurance.
Under the supervision and direction of the School Leader, Music Teachers:
• Study, practice, and execute lessons that lead scholars to mastery of music content, using our rigorous
• Maintain a lesson pace which both ensures comprehension and maximizes students' ability to engage
in the activity.
• Organize musical equipment thoughtfully, developing classroom routines to manage materials
efficiently with minimal lost activity time.
• Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
• Manage student behavior for an effective learning environment.
• Maintain accurate records of student information and assessment data.
• Work cooperatively and professionally with other staff, including attending team and staff meetings.
• Undertake other duties as required.
• Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to achieve life’s greatest joy:
doing good work well.
The Music Teacher will spend the majority of the day at our new school location, Independence Academy at
5221 Hickory Hollow Pkwy. In the afternoon, the Music Teacher will commute to our flagship school at 5432
Bell Forge Lane East to support music programming at that location. Flexibility will be important.
• Tennessee Certification in the appropriate content area, with track record of data-driven achievement is
required by your start date.
Successful Music Teacher candidates possess the following characteristics:
• Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
• Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
• Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from experience
• Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
• Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly
• Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
• Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
• Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous
• Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but
• Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular
assessment and data analysis
• Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
• Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
• Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
• Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
• Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are nonnegotiable.
The position will begin in July 2018.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed,
including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary
supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without
consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status,
veteran status or disability.
Complete the application screen here: https://bes.hirevue.com/openvue/qbTyFR6WW3/ Note that this application
screen does not require you to submit a video, although later stages of our process do so.