Job Opportunity: Lead Guides (Primary- ages 3-6);
(Lower Elementary ages 6-9)
(Upper Elementary ages 9-12)
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Principal
Start date: August 2020
We are looking for enthusiastic and qualified individuals to work as guides in a Montessori school in the metropolitan D C area. Our program is centered on the writings and vision of Dr. Maria Montessori, providing a directed best practices learning environment. The school’s teachers and staff live the school’s mission of providing a quality and ‘authentic Montessori education’. We are an inclusive and diverse community of students and staff.
The school initiated a dual immersion Program beginning with grades PreK3-Kindergarten. We are adding a grade each year until we have a full bilingual ‘track’ in our Prek3-6th grade classrooms.
Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS is seeking experienced Montessori educators for the 2020-21 school year. Under the general supervision of the Principal, the Guide facilitates student success and growth in a Montessori public charter school.
Major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
● Understanding and promoting the school’s vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community.
● Documenting teaching, observation, and student progress/activities/outcomes.
● Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Primary, Lower or Upper Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with accredited Montessori training and aligned with the district’s Common Core State Standards.
● Conduct ongoing assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs and/or English Language Learners.
● Conduct individual and small group instruction as needed.
● Working with the community of students, teachers, parents and administrators, in articulating and maintaining the integrity and scope of the Montessori method.
● Preparing the Montessori classroom environment to meet the students’ needs and interests.
● Presenting consistent individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s socio-emotional and academic progress and learning success.
● Develop Montessori materials and give Montessori lessons that speak to the interest of individual students
● Organize and maintain a system for accurate and complete record-keeping/reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by District and Public Charter School Board procedures and applicable laws.
● Instruct students in the principles of grace and courtesy
● Other duties as assigned by the Principal.
Education & Experience:
● Montessori trained at the Primary, Lower Elementary or Upper Elementary levels.
● Montessori certification at the appropriate level required.
● Prior teaching experience in a Montessori Primary, Lower Elementary or Upper Elementary classroom environment preferred.
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment required
● Licensure or certification in Elementary Education and/or passing score on Praxis I and II preferred.
● Advanced degrees, multiple credentials (e.g., Special Education, Math, English, ESOL, etc.), preferred
● Spanish or French fluency a plus;
● A good listener and communicator;
● A passion for growing independent, confident and intellectually curious children;
● A love of children and sense of humor
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include the position title in the subject line.