Capital City is looking for innovative, experienced, and passionate teachers for the school year 2022-2023.
At Capital City, we challenge the status quo every day. Our staff are skilled, compassionate, solutions-oriented, and unwavering in their commitment to give children of all ages, all backgrounds, and all abilities the education they need to thrive. If you want to help prepare the next generation of changemakers, apply today!
Teaching roles are 10-month positions, which are exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Why teach at Capital City?
• Work hard and achieve results, together! At Capital City, teachers work on collaborative teams that grapple with challenges, celebrate successes, and support and learn from one another.
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just buzzwords. We believe the diversity of our staff and the students we serve is our greatest asset. We take seriously the responsibility to achieve equity for our students and build a culture where staff engage in dialogue about race and work to build an inclusive culture.
• Invest in your own learning. Capital City prioritizes the professional growth and learning of our teachers through weekly internal professional development and opportunities to learn from experts around the country. Campus and school-wide leadership opportunities are available for teachers who want them.
• Make your classroom and curriculum your own. Our teachers value the autonomy they have at Capital City to design a curriculum that is dynamic, personal and exciting. There is a culture of innovation that is supported by Principals and Instructional Coaches.
A Building Substitute at Capital City:
Capital City seeks to employ building substitutes who will play a critical role in covering for teachers when they are on leave. The role provides an opportunity to learn and gain experience across several grades and disciplines. Building Substitutes will be fully a part of the staff and program at Capital City and supported by colleagues and administrators. Ideal candidates have a passion for and interest in education and a desire to learn and be part of a team. Reports daily to the school building.
• Our Substitute Teachers report to the campus Instructional Coach and responsibilities include:
• Supporting in the classroom as a single lead teacher or co-teacher in all subject areas when a teacher is absent
• Implementing lesson plans and delivering effective instruction to students
• Collaborating with colleagues to improve the learning of all students
• Creating a positive and productive classroom environment by employing classroom management skills consistent with the EL Education Model and Developmental Designs practices.
• Serving as a leader or co-leader for an Advisory or Crew, a group of 10-12 students who meet daily with a teacher. Supporting positive student behavior and classroom and school culture
• Communicating with teachers who are absent to secure plans when possible and provide a summary of how classes went to ensure continuity of instruction
• Building substitutes are active member of the Capital City Staff through:
• Participating in regular staff meetings to discuss and maintain a productive working relationships
• Participating in professional development sessions
• Taking on other responsibilities and duties as assigned; we live by the motto “we are crew” at Capital City
• Bachelor’s degree; education major preferred
• 1+ years experience working with students in a teaching or leadership role
Spanish fluency is preferred, but not required.
Additionally strong candidates have:
• A commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population
• Experience working in urban environments
• Proven ability to work as a member of a team
• A commitment to their own learning.
In addition to the above requirements, teachers must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check and a negative TB test.
This position is subject to the DC Mayor's Order 2021-109, requiring all adults regularly in schools to be up-to-date on all vaccinations for Covid-19.
Please apply here: https://app.hirenimble.com/jobview/26341
Compensation and Benefits:
Capital City offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Competitive compensation. At Capital City, salaries compensate for experience and qualifications. Salaries are benchmarked regularly.
Benefits. Capital City invests in a comprehensive benefits package to support the happiness and well-being of staff at all stages of career and life. Benefits include 100% of health insurance covered for full-time employees, up to 6% in retirement contributions, preferred student admission for children of staff living in DC, and support for you and your family when needed.