Ascend seeks a dynamic manager of clinical services to work closely with its school-based clinicians to establish strong implementations of intervention, IEP (individualized education plan)-mandated and at-risk counseling, and MTSS (multi-tiered support system) programming within schools. The manager of clinical services reports to and will work closely with the director of student services to monitor clinical practices including counseling session preparation and implementation, FBA/BIP (functional behavioral assessment/behavior intervention plan) development and progress monitoring and MTSS participation. The manager of clinical services will also identify strong areas of program implementation and work continuously to improve effectiveness and behavioral supports, as well as provide direct support to clinicians' intervention, crisis, and safety planning.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,700 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website - https://www.ascendlearning.org/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
* Provide individualized clinical and administrative supervision for clinicians, including administrative resources, tools, strategies, therapeutic approaches, differentiation tools
* Provide clinicians with proactive interventions, setting accommodations and modifications, reinforcements, alternative schedules and responses to negative behavior suggestions
* Create and disseminate observation and progress monitoring tools to assess efficacy and implementation of Tier 2 interventions/services as well as Competing Behavior Pathways (CBP) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP)
* Create and disseminate individual and group IEP-mandated and At-Risk session plans and IEP progress monitoring tools; and consult and collaborate with teams regarding crisis plans, safety plans, CBPs and BIPs for IEP and At-Risk Scholars
* Support clinicians in developing comprehensive CBPs using strategic Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) tools, and distribute post-session supervision notes
* Complete and facilitate mid-year evaluations and remain in regular communication with school principals regarding the growth and development of each clinician
* Complete and submit licensure paperwork for Ascend clinicians qualified to sit for their LCSW exam
* Audit clinicians' files and IEP, BIP and Tier 2 progress monitoring efforts 4 times per year to ensure legal compliance per the CSE
* Respond to emergency phone calls from clinicians, school leaders and culture teams 24 hours a day 7 days a week
* Assess suicidal ideation and homicidal ideation risk factors to determine level of risk and advise subsequent follow-up steps
* Develop and facilitate trainings, including professional development for clinicians and culture teams throughout the year, and new and returning clinician summer orientation trainings
* Develop and distribute clinically relevant network-wide templates and protocols
* Access community resources and outreach programs for families in need
* Stay current and up to date regarding social work and Administration for Children's Services (ACS) laws and regulations, at-risk systems and supports, and Committee on Special Education (CSE) requirements and IEP laws
Reporting relationships and team
The manager of clinical services reports directly to the director of student services.
* NY State Social Work Certification required
* LMSW (if in process/eligible for LCSW) or LCSW required
* Certificate in clinical supervision required
* Education (CEUs) in trauma-informed practice required
* At least 2 of experience supervising school social workers or mental health providers (preferably in urban schools) required
* At least 2 years of experience providing direct support to school leadership team members required
* At least 3 years of hands-on school social work experience (preferably in urban schools) required
* At least 2 years of experience creating and facilitating trainings for school-based clinicians preferred
* Strong problem-solving skills, with a combination of confidence and humility
* Effective and winning communication skills, both oral and written
* Excellent organization and planning skills, with strong attention to detail
* Collaborative style, with a proven track record of working with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
* Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect
* Absolute integrity
* Relentless commitment to ensuring the needs of all scholars are met
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.