An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Learning Support Coordinator (Available 2018-2019)
Bronx, NY & New York, NY
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network (PPN) is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses and one tuition-free single-sex Pre-K. Our campuses are: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School, Girls Prep Bronx Middle School, and Boys Prep Elementary School. The Pre-K program, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Center, is housed inside of Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School.
Public Preparatory Network/Public Preparatory Academies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Why teach at the Public Preparatory Network
At Public Prep we believe that joy, warmth, and high levels of student engagement are the foundation of a school culture where students achieve academically and develop character strengths. In the words of one community member, “Every student, every family and every Girls Prep staff member plays an important part of our amazing school, a school filled with energy, personality, hardworking people and a great deal of commitment.”
We believe in order to do that, schools not only need to deliver meaningful academics through an engaging and rigorous way, but we understand the importance of incorporating arts, the sciences, community and strong core values into our program. Our goal each day is not to only stimulate the mind, but also to reach the whole child in providing a safe consistent environment to learn and grown in. Our staff believe children learn best when they gain self-confidence and purpose when a caring community of educators not only care about their academic achievements but are truly invested in them socially and emotionally.
Primary Function & Position Overview:
The Learning Specialist Coordinator will act as the administrator for special education plans and services within the school, and will serve as the liaison to DOE Special Education offices and providers. The Learning Specialist Coordinator will also provide specialized instruction to students as specified under their IEPs. The Learning Specialist Coordinator will coordinate and guide his/her school’s implementation of RTI by creating plans that support a range of student needs and building capacity within the school to improve outcomes for all students. The Learning Specialist Coordinator will connect all students with a range of social, emotional, behavioral, and academic supports.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Teaching or co-teaching a lab site classroom one period per day.
* Maintenance of the SPED files, 504s, IEPs, resources, progress monitoring reports, related services and testing accommodations documents and school Sped database
* Work with CSE to procure related service providers
* Direct staff as necessary to complete all necessary reports for IEPs
* Collaborate with leadership and SFA team on all disciplinary referrals/suspensions/FBA and BIPS for students with IEPs
* Serve as primary liaison for the Committees for Special Education (CSE)
* Attend and facilitate IEP meetings
* Serve as point person for all aspects of Section 504 including conducting meetings for new and returning students and developing and implementing 504 plans Maintenance of SpEd and ELL database
* Work with DOO to create and prepare invoice for per pupil billing
* Serve as point person for initial referrals and new incoming students with IEPs
* Serve as point person for Response to Intervention (RtI) process and liaison between teachers and families
* Communicate IEP mandated busing needs to operations
* Create annual schedule for progress monitoring reports and meetings to go home to families Facilitate SST and TILT meetings in collaboration with the school-leadership team
* Serve as a member of the school SLT
* Develop and facilitate a series of school and network professional development sessions
* Collaborate with teachers to individualize instruction and to discuss students’ access to curriculum and learning goals.
* Ensure that modifications, scaffolds and interventions align with pre-designed, content standards and Common Core State Standards and address students’ individual needs and learning styles.
The ideal candidate will have:
* A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
* An M.A., Ed.M or Master’s degree in Special Education or related field
* New York State Certification in Special Education or a related field; additional certification a plus
* A minimum of three years of demonstrated success as a full-time special education teacher or special education services provider
* A demonstrated aptitude for effective case management and a proven ability to manage complex systems of data
* Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
* Exceptional organization and planning skills
* Superior communication skills
* An ability to work collaboratively
* A commitment to single-sex education
* A strong work ethic and a sense of humor
* Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work for Public Prep.