Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
At BAHS, we are looking for teachers who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world.
We are passionate about English teachers who are fired up about their lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence. Discover more about BAHS - http://www.ascendlearning.org/school/brooklyn-ascend-high-school/.
The high school English teacher will teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, the high school English teacher will:
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a motivating and inclusive classroom environment using restorative practices
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The high school English teacher reports to the dean of instruction. They also accept direction from and works closely with the culture team.
* Bachelor's degree required? master's degree and certification preferred
* One year of teaching experience, preferably in an urban school setting and in the subject to be taught
* A record of producing strong student achievement gains
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
* Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
* An entrepreneurial mindset, with experience in start-up or founding environments preferred
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/ccgcw9sjhhcjsq7c