At Ascend, we're excited about educators who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
We seek deans of students who are passionate about school culture and academic success. The dean of students is responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. The dean will provide cultural leadership to the teaching staff and oversee the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. At Ascend, we value leaders with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend:
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website.
The high school dean of students will implement school-wide systems and procedures that are structured, predictable, and support the school's highly ambitious academic expectations. Additionally, the high school dean of students will
- Design and implement community meetings and celebrations to help build a culture of joyfulness
- Design and execute procedures for arrival, lunch, dismissal, and other school routines
- Work with the teachers to ensure a successful advisory program
- Provide support to teachers, helping them build and create a warm, structured and a restorative approach to classroom culture
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Work directly with high touch scholars to provide supports and structures to ensure their academic progress
- Ensure that Ascend scholars meet high expectations for attendance
- Work with parents, families, and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year
Staff and reporting relationships:
The high school dean of students reports to the school director, collaborates with the dean of instruction, works closely with the Ascend network, and participates as a member of the school leadership team.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience; urban, charter experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Public Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.