Show Me KC Schools
Kansas City, Missouri
Show Me KC Schools is a nonprofit organization with a mission to help families make well-informed decisions about their students’ education by providing vital information about the school options available. The idea for Show Me KC Schools grew from a group of concerned parents with school-aged children who were committed to living in Kansas City, Missouri and eager to find the right education for their children in a complex school landscape. As a neutral organization (not affiliated with any one school or district) the organization has grown to offer a variety of programs for Kansas Citians including the only city-wide school fair, school tours, our thriving website and Kansas City’s common application platform - SchoolAppKC. Show Me KC Schools is a one-stop shop to help families get started finding the right school for their children. The organization was incorporated in 2014 and is seeking an executive director to succeed founder Tricia Johnson. The current annual budget is $593,000 with four full-time and three-part time employees, and a board of seven.
The Executive Director of Show Me KC Schools is the chief executive officer and reports to the Board of Directors. Passionate about K-12 school opportunities for children in Kansas City the Executive Director leads the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The successful Executive Director exhibits the ability to build and manage trusting relationships with school administrators while maintaining neutrality among the five types of school options. The ideal candidate for this position possesses:
• An ability to communicate the desired and strategic future of Show Me KC Schools to inspire staff, board, volunteers and donors to work toward that future.
• Experience in settings and services with ethnic, racial and economic diversity.
• A work history that includes successfully generating new revenue and improving financial results through fundraising strategies and donor relations.
Leadership & Management
• Ensure that Show Me KC Schools is meeting the outcomes of its strategic plan, which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
• Provide leadership in developing regular program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
• Maintain a positive climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse and highly motivated staff.
• Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations.
• Write grants and regular reports to maintain a $500,000+ budget.
• Use external presence and relationships to garner new sponsorship opportunities.
• Preserve and strengthen partnerships with foundations through regular meetings and communications with donors.
• Establish sound working relationships with participating schools, local businesses, city representatives, neighborhood organizations and community organizations.
• Represent Show Me KC Schools to agencies, organizations, the media and the general public at multiple community events throughout the year, and oversee the publicity of the activities of the organization.
Budget and Finance
• Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
• Work with the board in preparing Show Me KC Schools’ annual budget and ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Master’s degree in nonprofit management, education or a related field preferred.
• Five or more years of nonprofit management experience.
• Political savvy, interest in public policy, and understanding of the past and current politics of education in Kansas City, Missouri.
• Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector.
• Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
• Skills to collaborate with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Proposal writing experience preferred.
• Ability to interface and engage diverse partners and donors.
The projected compensation range for this position will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate. Show Me KC Schools currently provides Medical, Dental and Vision Plans plus life and disability insurance.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
It is the policy of Show Me KC Schools to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran or any other class protected under federal, state or local law. Show Me KC Schools prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company. Within your cover letter or resume, please be sure to provide a description of your qualifications related to the Position Summary and “ideal candidate” traits. Apply online at: https://themorancompany.applytojob.com/apply/hCbQXdDb93/Executive-Direc…