CLOSES: Until Filled
JOB TITLE: ESSER Funded - Counselor (Middle School / High School)
REPORTS TO: Campus Director
DEPT. / SCHOOL: Academic / Bob Hope School / Elementary Campuses
WAGE / HOUR STATUS: Exempt/Full Time
PAY GRADE: Commensurate with experience
To continue with the application process, complete the employment application on the school's website at http://www.bobhopeschool.org
Plan, implement and evaluate a comprehensive program of guidance, including counseling services to school assigned. Use a planning process to define needs and priorities of population served. Provide a proactive, developmental guidance program for all students to maximize personal growth and development.
Valid Texas Teaching and Counselor Certificate
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Two years of experience in student services, social services, training, development, or related positions
Experience in an education organization with focus on improving student performance
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Use majority of time providing direct services such as academic guidance, individual student planning, and preventive and responsive services.
2. Teach school developmental guidance curriculum to students.
3. Help teachers incorporate guidance-related information into existing curriculum.
4. Provide guidance to individuals and groups of students to develop education plans, career awareness, and social development of students using accepted theories and effective techniques. Adhere to Achieve Texas Guide.
5. Counsel individuals and small groups and address the immediate concerns of students. Provide individual developmental, preventive, remedial, and/or crisis counseling using accepted theories and effective techniques.
Individual Student Planning
7. Assist all students, individually or in groups, with developing academic, career and personal/social skills, goals, and plans.
8. Accurately and appropriately interprets and utilizes student data.
9. Collaborate with parents/guardians and educators to assist students with educational and career planning.
10. Provide consultation to students.
11. Confer with parents whenever necessary.
12. Consult parents, teachers, administrators, and other relevant people to enhance their work with students.
13. Work with school personnel and school district residents to obtain resources for students.
14. Use an effective referral process to help students and others use special programs and services.
15. Participate in planning and evaluation of campus testing program.
16. Interpret tests and other appraisal results appropriately.
17. Monitor student academic performance, behavior, and attendance and assists with appropriate interventions.
18. Plan school guidance and counseling programs to ensure that they meet identified needs.
19. Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of guidance program and make changes based on findings
20. Assist the campus administration in the development of the course selection catalog.
21. Compile, maintain, and file all required physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents.
22. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in guidance and counseling area.
23. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
24. Maintain a positive and effective relationship with supervisors.
25. Communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and parents.
26. Create and review student schedules.
27. Assist with campus requirements related to timely coding and submission of student/staff data for PEIMS accountability.
28. Review and code student information to determine the student’s at-risk status on a yearly basis, completed prior to PEIMS Fall submission.
29. Assist the campus administration in the development of a comprehensive master schedule to meet the needs of the students.
30. Provide input to administrators and faculty on matters dealing with overall student performance.
31. Responsible for entering and maintaining academic records for all graduating students including transcripts of current and new transfer students.
32. Assist in arrangements for tutors and summer school work.
33. Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
34. Participate in professional development to improve skills related to job assignment.
35. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written); interpret policy, procedures and data; maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environment Factors:
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing; move and carry small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment; occasional lifting of 35 lbs. or more
This job description has been reviewed to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the District reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the District may deem appropriate.
ABOUT BOB HOPE SCHOOL
Bob Hope School is a growing open-enrollment public charter school (non-profit) providing parents a choice in their child's education. Bob Hope Elementary is a Montessori / Dual-Language campus. Instruction is conducted in a two-way immersion program, where teachers fluent in English teach ELA and those fluent in Spanish teach SLA and are supported by teacher aides with a strong command of both languages. Campuses are located in Port Arthur and Beaumont, Texas. The Hughen Center, Inc. is the charter holder of Bob Hope School.
Bob Hope School provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.