We're excited about elementary school special education (SETSS) teachers who are fired up about their lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Our teachers embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in college and beyond.
Why extraordinary teachers teach at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,000 students across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/careers.
The elementary school special education (SETSS) teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum and provide individual or small group instruction for students who require additional academic support. Additionally, the special education teacher will:
* Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs
* Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary school special education (SETSS) teacher reports to the dean of student services. He or she also accepts direction from and works closely with the dean of students. Additionally, our special education teachers collaborate with the student services team.
* A master's degree and NYS charter certification required
* NYS certification in any subject/grade level OR meets one of the four uncertified criteria for charter school teachers:
3+ years K-12 teaching experience
3+ years adjunct professional teaching experience
exceptional professional in the content area he/she will be teaching (e.g. published writer applying for ELA)
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
* Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
* Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
* Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
* Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
* Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend Learning offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/kt852xm4bp65qssh