At Ascend, we seek elementary school science and intervention teachers who are passionate about learning - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying - who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. Ascend teachers share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We look for educators who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools.
Above all, we look for educators who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for children in Central Brooklyn.
Why teach at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a Brooklyn-based network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools. At Ascend, our mission is to provide an extraordinary education for the children of Central Brooklyn, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world, and we foster a school culture based in the Responsive Classroom model where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Watch Ascend in action.
To create the kind of vibrant learning environments we want for our students, we invest heavily in our faculty, providing ongoing professional learning for all of our educators, who collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes for our students, their families, and the communities we serve.
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in beautiful, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our high aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
The elementary science and intervention teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum, the New York State Education Department Science standards, and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Standard. Additionally, the science and intervention teacher will:
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Assist classroom teachers during whole group instruction by circulating, gathering formative data and conferencing with scholars during lessons
- Implement provided Tier 2 interventions for scholars by meeting with small groups and collaborating with the classroom teacher.
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary science and intervention teacher reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Ascend Public Charter School teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience. Please visit www.ascendlearning.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.