ORGANIZATION: Mission Achievement and Success Charter School
POSITION: Director of Academics
LOCATION Albuquerque, New Mexico
REPORTS TO: Executive Director and Founder
Mission Achievement and Success Charter School (MAS) has been among the best schools in the state of New Mexico since its founding in 2012. MAS prepares students to be successful in college and the competitive world by providing a rigorous college preparatory program in a safe and effective learning environment. Their primary objective is to instill in students a commitment to high academic achievement, continual goal setting, and principles of personal success.
Founded in 2012 with just 100 students, MAS now serves over 1300 students on two campuses in south Albuquerque—MAS Yale and MAS Old Coors. MAS Yale is in its 8th year of operation and enrolls 1100 students grades PreK-12. MAS Old Coors is in its second year of operation and enrolls 260 students grades K-3 with plans to add grades 4-6 in 2020 and grow to PreK-12 by 2026. MAS is the first charter in the state of NM to replicate, and with over 1000 families on the waitlist, MAS is committed to adding more schools to meet the needs of New Mexico students.
The Five Foundations at the core of MAS schools are rigorous academics, equity for all, positive culture, community engagement, and people development. MAS has seen exceptional results in its short existence. The organization is outperforming neighboring schools, closing the achievement gap in early literacy, beating national assessment benchmarks (compared to other high performing charter schools in the US), and graduating 100% of its senior class.
You can read more about MAS here: https://www.maspublicschools.com/
MAS is seeking an experienced instructional leader to support and drive student achievement in its schools. This hire is a critical addition to the MAS leadership team. In partnership with the Founder, the Director of Academics will set and implement the academic vision for the organization. S/he will play an integral role in the continued development of the MAS academic framework and model to ensure the organization maintains strong academic performance as it grows.
The Director of Academics will be a key member of the senior leadership team that also includes a COO and CFO. S/he will report to the Founder and will work closely with school leaders, assistant principals, instructional coaches, and the special education director.
The new Director of Academics will have primary responsibility for building the capacity of the instructional leadership team (including principals, assistant principals and instructional coaches) and supporting them to ensure high-quality instructional leadership across MAS schools. S/he will accomplish this through focusing on the following:
Coaching and Professional Development
• Provide regular coaching to the school leadership teams to increase their capacity to coach and develop their teachers and staff;
• Collaborate with the school leadership teams to establish instructional priorities by grade levels and content areas, and coordinate the deployment of resources to ensure high quality implementation of school educational design, including standards, assessments, instructional guidelines, and school culture and monitor progress towards goals;
• Develop and coordinate regular professional development for school leadership teams to build instructional leadership capacity related to pedagogy, data analysis and data-driven instruction, intervention, culture building, coaching and development of teachers and other key areas.
Academic Program Leadership
• Work closely with the founder to ensure fidelity to the MAS academic vision by setting and monitoring annual academic priorities and goals;
• Regularly observe and evaluate student work and school culture through classroom walkthroughs and observations;
• Provide input on refining the MAS K-12 education model and approach as the network grows, balancing consistency across MAS schools with the unique needs of each campus and student population;
• Regularly review and interpret student performance data to identify growth areas and develop data-driven strategies and approaches to address gaps in instruction and learning;
• Provide leadership and support on the implementation and execution of the MAS curriculum;
• Foster collaboration across MAS schools;
• Manage other mission-critical projects and initiatives, as directed by the Founder and ED.
Talent and Performance Management
• Partner with school leadership to determine staffing configurations based on year to year growth;
• Codify the teacher performance evaluation process across MAS and work closely with school leadership teams to ensure fidelity to the process;
• Codify the performance evaluation process for school leaders, assistant principals, and instructional coaches. Participate in principal evaluations with the Founder and provide support to principals in effectively evaluating their leadership teams;
• Establish clear pathways into school leadership roles to ensure there is a strong pipeline of future instructional coaches, assistant principals, and principals to sustain the organization as it scales;
• Provide input on key strategies and systems to reward and retain top talent.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
● A minimum of three to five years of school leadership experience at a high performing elementary, middle or high school in an underserved/low-income community with experience across the K-12 continuum preferred;
● A proven track record of improving student achievement in a challenging context using data documenting student achievement results;
● Experience supervising, coaching, and mentoring instructional coaches, assistant principals, and/or deans, and a proven track record of success managing and coaching people and teams to reach aggressive goals;
● Experience working at a high performing charter school or charter management organization;
● Demonstrated success fostering a strong student culture across a school or network of schools;
● Deep experience in the design, integration, implementation, and management of a school including knowledge of curricula, evidence-based instructional practices, school operations and management, social emotional learning and leadership development; experience with Achievement First, Math 180, Relay, Direct Instruction and Teach Like a Champion strategies and curricula is highly preferred.
● Cultural competence with a commitment to equitable practices;
● Relationship builder who effectively interacts with a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, teachers, community leaders, etc.
● Ability to set a strategic vision and direction and lead a team to execute on aggressive goals;
● Exceptional coach who can identify, develop, and retain outstanding talent;
● Strong project manager and multi-tasker who can work effectively in a changing, fast-paced environment.
● An unwavering belief that all children can learn, high expectations for all students, and a deep-seated commitment to the mission and values of MAS;
● A respectful and humble leadership style with a desire to understand other perspectives;
● Intellectually curious and willing to learn and grow alongside others;
● Strong work ethic coupled with enthusiasm and passion;
● An entrepreneurial approach to the work of serving children and a highly responsive, urgent approach to doing whatever it takes to fulfill the MAS mission.
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year institution;
● Master’s degree and Administrative Services Credential preferred.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume to Jobs@k12searchgroup.com with a subject line of “MAS Director of Academics.” Applications must be received by the application deadline: January 31, 2020. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY DIRECTLY ON THIS WEBSITE.