Position: Development Associate
Reports to: Development Director
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio, that starts and manages urban public charter schools that close the opportunity gap. The network includes two high-performing middle schools, a high-performing elementary school, and launched a second elementary school in the fall of 2017. We are seeking a Development Associate to join our network.
The Development Associate position is a full-time position designed to support the Development Director. Through executing the daily administrative activities of USN’s development programs, the meticulously organized Development Associate is the frontline personnel responsible for accurate donor and volunteer information and the smooth functioning of the Development Team. The Development Associate will use his/her genial personality and excellent listening skills to coordinate specific school program needs with grant, corporate, and volunteer resources, as well as to support the team’s efforts. The Development Associate reports to the Development Director.
Vision & Mission
Vision: For every child, an open door.
Mission: Transforming lives and our communities through the power of education.
1. All students have the ability to achieve academic excellence.
2. All students thrive in a highly disciplined school environment.
3. All students must be prepared to excel in demanding high schools on their way to selective colleges.
4. All students deserve outstanding teachers that produce outstanding results.
Our Students and Results
● Admission is open to all students; academic proficiency is not considered during the admissions process.
● 75% of our students are students of color and 90% are economically disadvantaged.
● USN schools serve students in grades K-8 and have a robust alumni services program.
● USN 8th graders regularly gain acceptance to the top high school programs in the city.
Joining Our Team
The key responsibilities are intended as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Key responsibilities include:
● Supports the Development Coordinator in the creation and mailing of development-related communications.
● Keeps accurate and informative records of various meetings and sends to relevant parties.
● Ensures materials needed for various development activities are requested and prepared in advance.
● Tracks fundraising costs and special events budgets.
● Develops and manages a comprehensive social media strategy; maintains website and social media accounts.
● Maintains responsibility for input, output, and function of the DonorPerfect database and all interfacing programs.
● Executes the processing of pledges and monthly gifts.
● Accurately records prospect/donor information, gifts, pledges, and contacts in the database.
● Generates various constituent/financial listings, as well as other reports as requested by the development team.
● Documents and maintains a library of donor and volunteer supported activities for use in stewardship materials, including photos, videos, and testimonials.
● Ensures acknowledgment for each specific fundraising, tour, and/or volunteer activity is complete and recorded.
● Stewards board members through recognition; monitors and records board service including committee service and term-out dates; prepares appropriate recognition for post-annual campaign board
celebration or board retreat.
● Assists with Classroom Champions volunteer program, including onboarding, placing, and recognizing volunteers
● Executes meaningful volunteer activities that engage constituents and support school-based initiatives, including communication with school personnel, garnering appropriate volunteer groups
through direct appeals and marketing, coordinating day-of logistics, etc.
Other duties as assigned by the Development Director
● This description is representative of the position requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
United Schools Network will consider hiring a full-time Development Associate with the following characteristics and qualifications:
● Exceptional and warm interpersonal skills: ability to interact effectively with team members, community leaders, board members, prospects, donors, and a variety of volunteers.
● Results-driven, with commitment to data excellence and the use of data, combined with critical thinking skills, to drive strategic fundraising decisions.
● Capacity to excel in a team environment or independently, and to adapt to a rapidly changing environment with emotional constancy.
● Openness to feedback, a willingness to take personal responsibility for the affairs of the network, and the ability to learn from one’s mistakes.
● Values continuous improvement both for self and development projects.
● Personal and professional integrity with willingness to abide by the Donor Bill of Rights, the AFP code of Ethics, and the Development Team Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
● Demonstrated personal commitment to and enthusiasm for USN’s mission and financial success.
● Bachelor’s degree required; 1-2 year minimum of fundraising experience preferred (internships qualify).
● Technological proficiency using Google Suite and Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, and Publisher).
Resumes for this position will be considered immediately and will remain posted until filled. Compensation and benefits are competitive; this position is eligible to participate in Ohio’s State Employees Retirement System or State Teacher Retirement System. United Schools Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online at www.applitrack.com/cca/onlineapp.