The dean of students is responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that the students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. He or she will provide cultural leadership to the teaching staff and oversees the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. Leadership at Ascend.
We look for educators who are excited to embrace a restorative approach to discipline and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial.
Above all, we look for leaders who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
Why join Ascend Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of urban, college-preparatory K-12 charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond. Today, we educate over 3,500 students at five lower schools, three middle schools, and one high school.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rigorous liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
We foster a school culture where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. We utilize comprehensive practices such as advisory and collaborative problem-solving that promote respect, develop leadership, and strengthen relationships.
Our school buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
The dean of students will implement school-wide systems and procedures that are structured, predictable, and support the school's highly ambitious academic expectations. Additionally, the dean of students will
- Design and implement community meetings and celebrations to help build a culture of joyfulness
- Design and execute procedures for arrival, dismissal, and other school routines
- Work with the teachers to ensure a successful advisory program
- Provide support to teachers, helping them build and create a warm, structured and responsive classroom culture
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Work directly with high touch scholars to provide supports and structures to ensure their academic progress
- Ensure that Ascend scholars meet high expectations for attendance
- Work with parents, families, and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year
Staff and reporting relationships
The dean of students reports to the school director, collaborates with the dean of instruction, works closely with the Ascend network, and participates as a member of the school leadership team.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience; urban, charter experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.