The role of dean of student services, a special education professional, is threefold. S/he (1) will supervise and coach special education teachers (all grade levels and content areas); (2) will work across the school serving students with special needs through small-group pull-out instruction, whole-group instruction, and supporting students “pushing in” to the general education classroom; and (3) as the school's primary contact with the Department of Education's Office of Special Education, is responsible for directly managing the relationship to ensure that the school complies with applicable laws and regulations, and maintains accurate and up-to-date records and other documentation.
The dean of student services works in conjunction with the school's instructional leaders to ensure that the school provides the academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the schools' core academic programs.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a growing network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn and offering a new model for public education. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
Visit our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/careers/leadership-positions-at-ascend/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The dean of student services will ensure the school is in compliance and coordinate staff professional development in the areas of special education, 504s, at-risk RTI support, ENL and other related services. The dean of student services responsibilities include:
* Observe, coach, and supervise special education instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and responsive classroom culture
* Implement IEPs and manage the provision of direct services by related service providers approved by the New York City Department of Education
* Ensure that all general education teachers know of, understand, and implement all classroom accommodations and modifications required by IEPs and 504 plans
* Work with the school's special education professionals to share best practices across schools in the Ascend network and resolve any school-based crises expeditiously
* Ensure that all schools create, implement, and monitor RTI/RTB through weekly data-driven meetings and planning sessions with the support of the school-based teams
* Create implement and review 504 plans
In some Ascend schools, the dean of student services will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. The dean of student services will teach collaboratively with a general education teacher in an inclusion classroom and differentiate instruction for students with special needs. The special education responsibilities include:
* Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs
* Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The dean of student services reports to the school director. He or she also works closely with the dean of instruction and network director of student services.
* A master's degree and basic NYS charter school certification is required
* Full-time classroom experience and a demonstrated track record of propelling students' academic growth and mastery
* Experience teaching in underserved areas is preferred
* Demonstrate an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels and that scholars with disabilities are as capable of greatness as general education scholars
* Manifest a total commitment to do whatever it takes to prepare all of the school's students for college
* Demonstrate a record of producing dramatic student achievement gains as a teacher in a tightly disciplined setting
* Have exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
* Be passionate about urban education and closing the achievement gap
* Be committed to education standards, statewide testing, and accountability
* Be prepared to invest in building relationships with students
* Value being effective over being creative
* Have a “can do” attitude and be a team player, relentless in the pursuit of the school's academic objectives; hard-working and willing to take feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/drdy3mxb4m83phwg