At Ascend, we're excited about educators who are committed to educational excellence and are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. At Ascend we invest in your professional growth—training, supporting, and collaborating with you every step of the way.
Join us as we foster our students' innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think, imagine, and create.
At Ascend, we seek deans of culture and instruction who are passionate about both curriculum, culture, and coaching - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of culture and instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and motivating students to achieve their highest potentials. He or she provides instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversees the implementation of the curriculum, coordinates assessments, and monitors students' academic performance. He or she is also responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that the students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. He or she will provide leadership to the teaching staff and oversees the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. Deans of culture and instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a growing network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn and offering a new model for public education. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
Visit our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/careers/leadership-positions-at-ascend/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The elementary school dean of culture and instruction manages the effective implementation curriculum and instruction, and plans and executes whole school professional development sessions. Additionally, the dean of culture and instruction will:
* Observe, coach and mentor instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and responsive classroom culture
* Monitor and assess teacher performance
* Support the lesson planning process and provide weekly feedback to teachers on their lessons
* Manage academic operations for the school (including coordination of testing and assessments); secure additional materials needed to meet state-mandated curriculum and state testing requirements
* Identify problems in academic performance and recommend and implement solutions in a timely manner
* Build smooth and efficient working relations that positively impact academics; work closely and efficiently with the school director, the school leadership team, and Ascend Learning staff to ensure student success
* Reinforce positive student behavior and establish rapport with students; communicate individual academic progress
* Design and execute procedures for arrival, dismissal, and other school routines
* Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
* Work directly with high touch scholars to provide supports and structures to ensure their academic progress
* Ensure that Ascend scholars meet high expectations for attendance
* Work with parents, families, and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary school dean of culture and instruction reports directly to the school director. Additional collaboration occurs with other members of the leadership team and the Ascend network.
* Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
* Experience coaching teachers preferred
* At least 3+ years of teaching experience; urban, charter experience preferred
* Experience coaching teachers preferred
* Strong leadership and team building skills
* Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
* Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
* Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
* Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
* A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
* A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
* Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
* Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers - http://www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/67gp82dm67vzgrzd