As a community outreach associate, your primary responsibilities will be to increase awareness about the Ascend Public Charter Schools network of schools and recruit students for the upcoming school year. You will work closely with the student recruitment team to execute their strategic outreach plan. The majority of this work will take place in the neighborhoods of Brownsville, Bushwick, East Flatbush, Canarsie, Cypress Hills, and East Brooklyn.
This is a part-time, hourly position and much of the work will take place on weekends and evenings. The rate for this role is $18 per hour for an estimated 15 - 20 hours per week.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,700 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website - https://www.ascendlearning.org/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
* Foster and maintain relationships with community-based organizations in the neighborhoods that we serve through regular in-person*, phone-based and email communications
* Represent Ascend schools with tablings at neighborhood businesses, community events, recruitment fairs, public or commercial locations and other external events*
* Canvass the neighborhoods where Ascend schools operate promoting to residents and businesses*
* Liaise with and broker relationships between neighborhood daycares, 3K/UPK programs, afterschool programs and Ascend school leaders, supporting both parties in building long-lasting partnerships and cultivating a strong pipeline of new students
* Participate in phone banking outreach initiatives designed to cultivate potential leads
* Provide an excellent customer service experience in all interactions with Ascend schools, community based organizations and potential leads
* Expertly guide interested families through the application process in person*, by phone or online demonstrating deep knowledge of Ascend practices and processes
* Use our application and customer relationship management software to record accurate logs of all external interactions with organizations and families
* Source new leads for community outreach and track progress of lead cultivation through meticulous data collection and tracking
* Support the student recruitment manager in coordinating the parent and student ambassador program
*Please note: Ascend is taking extreme preparation and care to maintain strict social distancing and follow CDC and NYS guidelines on the reopening of our schools as well as in-person activities including canvassing, tablings and other externally facing events. We provide personal protective equipment for team members and have policies/practices in place to ensure the safety of our staff while conducting work activities.
Staff and reporting relationships
The community outreach associate reports to the student recruitment manager.
* High school diploma required; undergraduate degree preferred
* Bilingual in English/Spanish is required
* Deep knowledge of the neighborhoods in which Ascend schools operate is preferred
* Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
* A “can do” attitude and the enthusiasm to be a hard-working, self-starting team player who is relentless in the pursuit of Ascend's mission
* Strong, critical thinking skills with the ability to problem-solve independently and ask for help when needed
* A positive, authentic, and responsive approach to building trust with members of the community including children, parents, small business partners and staff at all times
* Excellent customer service skills
* An openness to receiving and implementing feedback
* A commitment to continuous learning and improvement of oneself, the student recruitment team and Ascend
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks of varying complexity
* Ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
* Strong familiarity using Google Suite and Microsoft Office products
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.