Summary: The Attendance and Engagement Compliance Specialist ensures that school age children are attending school by investigating causes of unexcused or excessive absences; communicating with families and assisting them in problem-solving; issuing warnings; and helping to represent the schools if cases go to court.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
· Coordinates school-wide attendance efforts and truancy reduction programming with a two-fold focus 1) educating families on the importance of attendance with a focus on prevention and 2) intervening to fix the underlying issues that lead to absenteeism
· Communicates via e-mails, calls, etc. to targeted student population;
· Ensures state compliancy guidelines are met for student attendance, progress, and system logins;
· Ensure school policy and state requirements are met regarding all truancy withdrawals;
· Produces attendance/truancy reports for the school, county and state;
· Works with staff to assist students in situations where referrals to service agencies are necessary;
· Works with stakeholders to develop improved procedures that address attendance;
· Works with families and community support staff to prevent/deter juvenile delinquency;
· Develops and implements educational workshops related to truancy law for school staff and families;
· Assists staff on projects regarding student attendance/truancy.
· Oversees student engagement as it pertains to the school’s engagement policy
· Communicates with families whose students have missing sessions as indicated by the school’s engagement policy
· Supports families with documentation of excused absences
· Refers students to the Academic Review Board, as specified by the school’s process
· Works with all stakeholders to support student attendance and engagement.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
· High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED) Certificate AND
· Two (2) years of truancy experience OR
· Equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
· Knowledge of state school attendance laws, and other pertinent laws regarding K-12 education; Knowledge of specific court procedures regarding truancy
· Familiarity with online learning environment
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.); Web proficiency.
· Ability to travel 25% of the time
· Ability to pass required background check
· Three (3) years of experience working with families in a similar capacity, enrollment or truancy a plus
· Post-secondary degree especially in Education, Counseling, Human Services or related field of study.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· This is a home-based position
The above job is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor. All employment is “at-will” as governed by the law of the state where the employee works. It is further understood that the “at-will” nature of employment is one aspect of employment that cannot be changed except in writing and signed by an authorized officer.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract