Job Opportunity: Assistant Principal
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Principal
Start Date: July, 2020
We are seeking an experienced Montessori educator to support our Primary, Lower and Upper Elementary students and classrooms for the 2020-21 school year.
Under the supervision of the Principal, the Assistant Principal will work with the Primary and Elementary Guides/Teachers to support student learning and achievement. The person in this position will develop and implement strategies to support the students’ progress with appropriate learning methods, lesson plans and instructional techniques. The Assistant Principal acts as an instructional coach and liaison between the teachers and the Principal, coordinating assessments, activities in the classrooms and providing support and guidance in all areas of Montessori education.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Assists the Principal in the development, implementation, improvement, and evaluation of the instructional program, including the Spanish Immersion program, ensuring conformance to state standards, the school’s mission, and Board goals and policies.
1. Works collaboratively with all staff to strengthen the instructional program including providing coaching and professional development.
2. Evaluates and orders classroom materials.
4. Assists the Principal in teacher observations.
5. Responsible for special duty assignments as directed by the Principal.
6. Attends special events and school-sponsored activities when possible.
7. Assists in recruiting, screening, interviewing, hiring, training, and evaluating academic staff.
8. Plans and presents workshops to parents and interested members of the community about the Montessori philosophy of education, teaching techniques and materials used.
Required Competencies & Qualifications:
● Maintains confidentiality
● A passion for growing independent, confident and intellectually curious children
● Ability to provide services to all children and families with respect and dignity
● Demonstrated ability to work successfully with students, staff and multicultural community
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Excellent written and communication skills
● Knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Docs
● A sense of humor
● A love of children
Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required,
Master’s Degree preferred
2. Primary and/or Elementary Montessori Certification preferred
3. 5 years of Montessori teaching experience, instructional coach/curriculum coordinator, and/or administration required
4. Prior work and/or administrative experience in a Montessori public, private or charter school preferred
5. Prior experience implementing a bilingual or Montessori dual immersion program preferred
6. Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally underserved students
7. Prior experience working in diverse learning environments
8. Spanish or native Spanish language fluency a plus
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line.