At Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), we are looking for teachers who are passionate about their academic discipline and personally driven by the academic achievement of their students. Ascend teachers hold exceptionally high intellectual expectations of their students and create a culture of joyful academic discovery in their rooms. Their aim is to ignite intellectual curiosity in their students and build their academic knowledge and confidence in preparation for four-year colleges. They are vigilant in ensuring that all tasks placed before their students are rigorous and, without exception, reflect the school's aspirations of academic excellence.
We are passionate about math teachers who are fired up about their lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We are looking for teachers who embrace STEM – teachers who are eager to teach an NGSS-aligned curriculum, to integrate technology, to connect math and science, to give storyline assessment tasks, and to create experiences for students to take ownership of their learning. Our current academic program has students engaged in engineering within the general curriculum, maker classes, and STEAM clubs. We seek teachers with a diverse skillset who will continue to develop our STEM program in a new and growing school.
Our teachers know that a strong culture that respects and motivates students relies on excellent academic teaching in every room. We believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices. Discover more about BAHS - http://www.ascendlearning.org/school/brooklyn-ascend-high-school/.
The high school AP Statistics teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, the high school AP Statistics teacher will:
* Use formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing restorative practices.
* Establish and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work actively to overcome setbacks
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The high school AP Statistics teacher reports to the assistant principal.
* Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
* Teaching experience in an urban school setting and in the subject to be taught preferred
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students are academically engaged and challenged and feel safe and supported
* Passion for teaching students in underserved areas and commitment to closing the achievement gap
* Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
* Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
* Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
* Experience teaching in underserved areas preferred
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers - http://www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.