The Activity Specialist will provide direct instruction and supervision to scholars in their after school enrichment activities, and ensure students are meeting our high behavioral standards. Serving as the primary adult role model in the after school environment, the Activity Specialist will maintain a high level of professionalism, respect, and joyfulness. The Activity Specialist will work collaboratively with the wider after school team to connect after school learning opportunities with school day curricula, leveraging hands-on after school activities to further reinforce literacy, STEM, and the arts. The Activity Specialist will lead specialized activities and will be asked to develop and execute lesson plans in a specialized enrichment activity. A sample schedule for an Activity Specialist is 4:00pm to 6:00pm Monday through Thursday. Our educators embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in college and beyond.
Our educators embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in college and beyond.
Why extraordinary educators work at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Activity Specialists must have a strong interest in working with youth and have expertise in one or more disciplines or content-specific program activities or subjects, including:
* Fashion design
* Another activity or subject area that enriches the experiences of scholars at Ascend
Activity Specialists must be able to develop lesson plans in their area(s) of expertise and reinforce learning, helping scholars attain mastery of the content. Specialists must also must be skilled in engaging and managing middle school aged students, and will:
* Supervise participants while maintaining order, providing a conducive learning environment, and ensuring student and adult safety
* Develop weekly activity lesson plans in area(s) of specialty
* Facilitate purposeful activities that foster the development of new skills in students, while reinforcing skills/information previously taught
* Assist in all activities needed for the orderly operation of the program
* Work with Group Leaders, engaging them in the lesson plan development process and modeling activity facilitation
* Provide strong classroom and behavioral management skills, ensuring that all participants follow agency and program rules.
* Attend and supervise children during special projects and field trips.
* Serve as a positive and engaging role model for students; work with students one-on-one when necessary and be flexible to meet their needs.
* Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree preferred or attending college with appropriate training or certification
* Experience working with middle school-aged children
* Exceptional group management, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to create interactive academic and/or enrichment activities that are age-appropriate
* Genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills through training opportunities and field practice
* Ability to work as part of a team within a school community
* Ability to communicate and work effectively and respectfully with a broad range of diverse constituents
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package