The academic operations associate (AOA) supports the instructional team to ensure that they have the materials and tools needed for meeting Ascend's academic goals. The AOA trains and supports staff on our student and academic data software systems, ensures that assessments are administered and data is captured, and that academic materials are purchased and available in the classroom.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,000 students across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12.
At BAHS, we are looking for teachers who believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. It is a flagrant contradiction. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices, their conviction that they can assert their voice and power in the world.
Visit our website - http://www.ascendlearning.org/careers/ to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The academic operations associate will work under the direction of the director of operations to support the highest quality of instruction and accelerate scholars' learning. Additionally, the academic operations associate will:
* Ensure that all schools in the network tap the full potential of the Infinite Campus student information system and the Illuminate academic data system by working on the setting up of the new systems, training staff, and instituting protocols to ensure system-wide consistency in use
* Support the director of operations and school-based staff on how to use Illuminate's gradebook and how to set up and generate progress reports, report cards and transcripts
* Ensure that all required curricular materials are purchased, delivered to schools and placed in classrooms
* Inventory academic materials at the schools on a regular basis
* Support the instructional team in ensuring that assessments are ordered and administered, and that data is captured into academic data systems
* Work with the director of operations on other operational projects and initiatives as needed
Staff and reporting relationships
The academic operations associate reports to the director of operations.
* Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
* Instructional elementary or middle school experience prefered
* Charter school experience preferred
* Outstanding computer skills, including fluency with Microsoft Excel, and preferably experience with Microsoft Access
* Effective written and spoken communication skills
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Strong organizational skills and thorough attention to detail
* A very strong work ethic and a sense of urgency
* Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines
* Ability to self-manage in a highly professional work environment, which requires interfacing with constituents at the network and schools levels
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks of varying complexity and to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers - http://www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/77bfxd77x5wnfc8h