Senior Director, Legal Affairs
The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, the leading national nonprofit dedicated to advancing the charter school movement, is recruiting for an ambitious and energetic leader to direct National Alliance’s legal initiative.
The Senior Director of Legal Affairs will be a strategic member of the National Alliance’s legal team and will be responsible executing and expanding the National Alliance’s legal initiatives to achieve important policy priorities for public charter schools.
- Identify and execute high-value, strategic litigation opportunities with state partners. Partner with other National Alliance staff on the execution of message development and public relations on significant cases.
- Monitor and report legal developments of national significance and draft responses and policy documents to articulate the impact to the charter school sector or to better equip those responsible for compliance.
- Manage and expand the Alliance of Public Charter School Attorneys and make it the leading national voice for charter-specific legal issues.
- Develop expertise to answer emerging, high-risk, federal legal questions of national significance; position the National Alliance as a go-to source for federal policymakers on the same.
- Create and manage projects to meet new opportunities as they arise.
- Bachelors degree and JD required.
- At least 5 years of legal practice
- Litigation experience strongly encouraged
- Experience in working on education reform is a must, particularly experience working in collaboration with national, state, and local partners to advance legal advocacy goals.
- A passion to improve educational opportunities for kids, and a belief in choice and accountability as key elements of reform.
- Strong entrepreneurial abilities.
- Experience creating and operating within a budget, managing a team of attorneys and building a program.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to thrive under pressure, with multiple deadlines.
- Willingness to travel.
The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools believes that all families deserve high-quality public school options. Charter schools are independent public schools providing families with a new set of public school options. Each of these schools is developed to be a partnership between parents, teachers, and students.
Increasingly, when given the option, parents are choosing to enroll their children in charter schools. In fact, the demand for charter schools is far outpacing the supply in most communities. What began as a small movement in a few states has grown to become a major force in education reform across the country. Through advocacy, research, and promotion, the National Alliance works to grow the number of high-quality charter schools available to all families, especially those who do not have access to high-quality public schools.
Please email a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to HR@publiccharters.org.
Position is open immediately. Closing date: open until filled
The National Alliance for Public Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse and multicultural work environment. The National Alliance welcomes applications from all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran, or any other category protected by law.