Resident School Director Fellowship - 2017-18 SY
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Location||Brooklyn, New York|
|Date of posting||04/13/2017|
The Resident School Director Fellowship is a one year course of study designed to support and prepare school leaders to successfully run high-performing Ascend schools. We seek educators who have attained significant student achievement results and are ready to leverage and develop their leadership skills to make a larger impact on school success. Resident school directors will train in residence as a member of the leadership team in a host Ascend school, leading key leadership projects and gaining experience in essential aspects of school leadership under the mentorship of their school director. Additionally, resident school directors prepare to found a new or take over an existing school working closely with the managing directors, chief schools officer and other relevant Ascend Learning staff members. Opportunities are available for resident directors at the elementary and middle school levels.
We look for educators who are excited to embrace a restorative approach to discipline and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial.
Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
Why lead at Ascend Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of urban, college-preparatory K-12 charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond. Today, we educate over 3,500 students at five lower schools, three middle schools, and one high school.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rigorous liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
We foster a school culture where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. We utilize comprehensive practices such as advisory and collaborative problem-solving that promote respect, develop leadership, and strengthen relationships. Watch Ascend in action.
Our school buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
Training at a host school, the resident school director will observe, coach and mentor teachers to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous. Additionally, the resident school director will:
- Observe, coach and mentor dean of students, dean of instruction or other member of leadership team to ensure that their leadership is data-driven, relentless and effective to improve teaching and learning
- Plan and facilitate Team Planning and Development Meetings in Math and ELA
- Support the implementation of school-wide academic systems and procedures that are structured, predictable and build and maintain the school's highly ambitious academic expectations
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and character growth by utilizing the Ascend
- Learning philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Plan and execute whole school professional development sessions
- Build and oversee a culture of data to inform teaching practice and drive decision-making and instruction
- Work with school director to plan and implement academic-related family events, including but not limited to parent teacher conferences and high school events
- Maintaining a strong adult culture by upholding and reinforcing the school's professional norms
In preparation for opening a new school or take over an existing school, the resident school director will create an Individualized Leadership Plan that determines individualized support, including one-on-one coaching with their leadership coach throughout the year, to maximize strengths and develop in growth areas. Additionally, the resident school director will:
- Attend professional development sessions including Ascend school director PD sessions, excellent school visits and off-site training sessions
- Develop strategic plan for successful founding or transition/change management
- Develop and host family, student and community events
- Develop school-wide procedures and culture manuals
- Develop staffing plan and budget
- Hire staff for following school year
- Develop an onboarding and support plan for staff members
Staff and reporting relationships
The resident school director will report to the chief schools officer with a dotted line to the host school director.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification strongly preferred
- Proven track record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom for at least five years, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Deep understanding of the common core standards
- Deep understanding of data-driven instructional practices
- Ability to be a bold, tireless and engaging change agent and culture-creator; a visionary; a leader who inspires and motivates children and adults
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
- Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the school's community with respect and an accurate idea of one's own strengths and weaknesses
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with experience in start-up or founding environments preferred
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.