High School Math Teacher
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Date of posting||07/16/2017|
At Ascend, we seek high school math teachers who are passionate about their subjects and their students – who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying – who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and explore insights and curiosities along the way. Teachers at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We look for teachers who are excited to embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and restorative approach to discipline, and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial.
Above all, we seek educators who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for the children of Central Brooklyn.
The first Ascend high school opened to ninth-grade students in September 2015, and will expand by a grade per year through grade 12. We are looking for a high school math teacher who is excited by the opportunity to be part of a founding high school team.
Why teach at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a Brooklyn-based network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools. At Ascend, our mission is to provide an extraordinary education for the children of Central Brooklyn, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity and encourages intellectual risk-taking, preparing them to thrive in the college classroom, the workplace, and civil society. Watch Ascend in action.
Ascend has developed a warm and supportive culture rooted in restorative practice, departing from a punitive disciplinary model, with its frequently high rates of referrals and suspensions. Restorative practice empowers students to resolve conflicts on their own, gain an understanding of the impact of actions, and take responsibility for choices, while suggesting ways to repair negative actions.
To create the kind of vibrant learning environments we want for our students, we invest heavily in our faculty, providing ongoing professional learning for all of our educators, who collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes for our students, their families, and the communities we serve.
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in beautiful, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our high aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
The high school math teacher will teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, the founding high school math teacher will:
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a motivating and inclusive classroom environment
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The high school math teacher reports to the director of curriculum and instruction. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of students and school director.
- Bachelor's degree required? master's degree and certification preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Ascend Public Charter Schools offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity.