Founding Dean of Students - High School
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Date of posting||06/19/2017|
Brooklyn Ascend High School is looking for a dean of students to join the culture team, supporting high school scholars. The high school dean of students is responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that the students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. He or she will provide cultural leadership to the teaching staff and oversees the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. Leadership at Ascend.
At Ascend, we seek deans of students who are passionate about school culture and student success. The dean of students is responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. He or she will provide cultural leadership to the teaching staff and oversee the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. At Ascend, we value leaders with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We look for educators who are excited to embrace a restorative approach to discipline and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial.
Above all, we look for leaders who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
Why lead at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a Brooklyn-based network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools. At Ascend, our mission is to provide an extraordinary education for the children of Central Brooklyn, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world, and we foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Watch Ascend in action.
To create the kind of vibrant learning environments we want for our students, we invest heavily in our faculty, providing ongoing professional learning for all of our educators, who collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes for our students, their families, and the communities we serve.
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in beautiful, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our high aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
Leading at Ascend
As a leader at Ascend, you will grow deeply as an educator through ongoing training, support, and collaboration at every step in your career. You will also be able to express your voice and play a role in defining the future of Ascend, as we actively encourage Ascend school leaders to be part of their schools' and the Ascend network's development and growth. Learn more about leadership at Ascend.
The high school dean of students will implement school-wide systems and procedures that are structured, predictable, and support the school's highly ambitious academic expectations. Additionally, the high school dean of students will
- Design and implement community meetings and celebrations to help build a culture of joyfulness
- Design and execute procedures for arrival, lunch, dismissal, and other school routines
- Work with the teachers to ensure a successful advisory program
- Provide support to teachers, helping them build and create a warm, structured and a restorative approach to classroom culture
- Reinforce and maintain the school's culture of high academic and behavioral achievement by utilizing the Ascend philosophy that discipline is an opportunity for learning, growth, and community-building
- Work directly with high touch scholars to provide supports and structures to ensure their academic progress
- Ensure that Ascend scholars meet high expectations for attendance
- Work with parents, families, and caregivers to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the course of the school year
Staff and reporting relationships
The high school dean of students reports to the school director, collaborates with the dean of instruction, works closely with the Ascend network, and participates as a member of the school leadership team.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience; urban, charter experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Insistence on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- A hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- A high level of ownership over the success or failure of the scholars they lead, defining success in terms of academic results
- Alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Public Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity.