Elementary Associate Teacher
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Date of posting||10/03/2017|
We're excited about elementary teachers who are fired up about their lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Our teachers embrace a rigorous liberal arts program and a positive approach to discipline, believe in the power of family and community partnerships, and commit to helping students succeed in college and beyond.
Why extraordinary teachers teach at Ascend:
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website.
The elementary associate teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum, the New York State Education Department Science standards, and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Standard. Additionally, the associate teacher will:
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Assist classroom teachers during whole group instruction by circulating, gathering formative data and conferencing with scholars during lessons
- Implement provided Tier 2 interventions for scholars by meeting with small groups and collaborating with the classroom teacher.
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships:
The elementary associate teacher reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- Experience with the 5E model or inquiry based learning
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
- Experience with data driven instruction preferred
Ascend teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience. Please visit www.ascendlearning.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Public Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.