Induction Coach (Epic Middle School)
|Organization||Education for Change Public Schools (view profile)|
|Classification||Middle Grades Teacher|
|Date of posting||06/16/2017|
Application Process: Apply online here
Education for Change is looking for a dynamic and visionary Induction Coach to support a cadre of beginning teachers in order to improve teacher efficacy and job satisfaction. This position is an opportunity to coach a beginning teacher in order to refine craft and develop practices that will be utilized throughout their teaching career, in addition to helping them clear their credential. The coaches will work closely with one another and receive support from the Chief Talent Officer in order to foster effective coaching.
About Epic Middle School
Epic is a school unlike any other. At Epic, students will learn to see themselves as heroes in their own Epic journey. Epic is a science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) school where students will:
• learn at least in part through online delivery of content and instruction providing teachers with time to personalize learning one-on-one or in small groups
• have some element of control over their time, place, path and pace of learning
• progress through school based on mastery of the content with comprehensive adult support and encouragement
• conceptualize their own designs and build them in a state of the art “Makerspace” equipped with tools from laser cutters to sewing machines, table saws to 3D printers
• work collaboratively with 100 of their close friends in school-based quests where students are transported back in time to the American revolution or forced to survive a zombie apocalypse
About Education for Change Public Schools
Education for Change Public Schools (EFCPS) believes it is the right for every child to have access to a high-quality, 21st century education. Our mission is to provide a superior public education to Oakland’s most underserved children by creating a system of schools that focuses relentlessly on our student’s academic achievement. EFCPS is a charter management organization that manages a diverse portfolio of K-8 schools, growing to a portfolio of preK-12 schools in the Fruitvale and Elmhurst neighborhoods of Oakland, currently serving 3,000 children. Additional information about Education for Change can be found at www.efcps.org.
Observations, Feedback, and One:one Coaching
• Observe the teacher as lessons are implemented, and provide teacher with strategic post-observation feedback to improve instructional and classroom culture practices.
• Demonstrate lessons in the classroom, and engage in “elbow-teaching”.
• Provide teachers with research-based pedagogical resources to promote inquiry, improve instructional and classroom culture practices, and develop strong home-school communication practices.
• Support teachers in effective data analysis and lesson design.
• Support teachers in implementing strategies and modifications in their lessons that provide access to grade level content for all students - specifically English Learners and Special Populations.
• Support Induction Program participants in completing the required tasks and paperwork in an integrated and meaningful manner.
Meetings and Professional Development
• Participate in on-going professional development specific to effective coaching.
• Attend monthly Instructional Coaches’ and Induction Coaches’ PLC meetings.
• Co-plan and co-facilitate New Teacher Induction Orientation annually.
• Co-plan and co-facilitate four Induction Benchmark Meetings a year.
• Co-plan and co-facilitate the end of year teacher presentations (PIP).
• Plan and facilitate additional new teacher professional development as needed.
• Support the mission, vision, and core values of Education for Change
• Attend mandatory new hire professional development
• Actively participate in key student events
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Valid California Multiple Subject or Single Subject Teaching Credential
• Minimum of 3 years of classroom experience in a middle school setting.
• Leadership experience – grade level chair, instructional coach, BTSA coach, etc.
• Ability to build relationship with colleagues and engage in effective conversations around data and practice.
• Understanding of the Common Core Standards and the California Standards for the Teaching Profession.
• Experience working with a diverse school community.
• Understanding of school and community resources.
• Must possess a growth mindset and be able to use feedback to refine practice.
EFC Core Values - required by all EFC staff
• We collaborate. We are a team. We plan together, observe and analyze each other’s work, collaborate with our coaches and site leaders, partner with our families, and together make decisions about our programming.
• We are a learning organization. We approach or practice with an inquiry stance and a growth mindset; we analyze, innovate, and iterate every single day so that we continually improve. We believe in coaching and developing people at every level of experience, at every level of the organization.
• We are solutions-oriented. We approach every challenge with a problem-solving orientation. We listen to and encourage each other. We are resilient in the face of adversity.
• We are accountable. Our mission is to provide a superior public education to Oakland’s most underserved children. We assume personal accountability for student growth; we analyze multiple forms of data, and that analysis drives our instruction.
• We are student-focused. We form close relationships, utilize personalized learning, differentiate instruction, make learning culturally relevant, engage families, and provide individualized interventions to meet the needs of every child.
• We listen. We are a small, responsive organization that values students, family, and employee voice and input.
• We are rooted in community. Ours is a place-based strategy that works deeply with neighborhood leaders and partners to serve our children. We understand that the cultures, values, traditions, and assets that our families bring must be leveraged and honored to reach and teach our children.
Compensation & Benefits
EFCPS offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package. For details, go to www.efcps.org/careers.
Application Process: Apply online here