Dean of Student Services - Middle School
|Organization||Ascend Learning, Inc|
|Location||Brooklyn, New York, 11201, United States|
|Date of posting||07/17/2017|
At Ascend, we're excited about educators who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
We seek deans of students who are passionate about school culture and academic success. The dean of students is responsible for shaping and sustaining the school's distinctive culture and ensuring that students internalize the school's values and aspirations for academic excellence. The dean will provide cultural leadership to the teaching staff and oversee the implementation of school-wide systems and procedures. At Ascend, we value leaders with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Why extraordinary leaders lead at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Leading at Ascend means growing deeply in your career, expressing your voice, and playing a defining role in the future of your students, your school, and the Ascend network.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website.
The dean of student services will coordinate staff professional development in the areas of special education, 504s, at-risk RTI support, ELL and other related services, as well as, support the SETSS teachers, ELL teachers, Integrated Co-teachers, and other instructional staff. The dean of student services responsibilities also include
- Implementing IEPs and managing the provision of direct services by related service providers approved by the New York City Department of Education
- Designing differentiated instruction and administering rigorous, standards-based assessments to serve students needing special services
- Ensuring that all general education teachers know of, understand, and implement all classroom accommodations and modifications required by IEPs and 504 plans
- Working with the school's certified special education professionals to share best practices across schools in the Ascend network and resolve any school-based crises expeditiously
- Ensuring that all schools create, implement, and monitor RTI/RTB through weekly data-driven meetings and planning sessions with the support of the school-based teams
- Creating, implementing and reviewing 504 plans
As a special education teacher, the dean of student services will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum and collaboratively teach with a general education teacher in an inclusion classroom and differentiate instruction for students with special needs. Additionally, the special education responsibilities include:
- Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs
- Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The dean of student services reports to the school director. He or she also works closely with, the dean of instruction and director of student services.
- A master's degree and state certificate in special education is required
- Full-time classroom experience and a demonstrated track record of propelling students' academic growth and mastery
- Experience teaching in underserved areas is preferred
- Demonstrate an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at high levels and that scholars with disabilities are as capable of greatness as general education scholars
- Manifest a total commitment to do whatever it takes to prepare all of the school's students for college
- Demonstrate a record of producing dramatic student achievement gains as a teacher in a tightly disciplined setting
- Have exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Be passionate about urban education and closing the achievement gap
- Be committed to education standards, statewide testing, and accountability
- Be prepared to invest in building relationships with students
- Value being effective over being creative
- Have a “can do” attitude and be a team player, relentless in the pursuit of the school's academic objectives; hard-working and willing to take feedback and engage in a process of self-improvement
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Public Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.