Dean of Instruction - Kindergarten 1st grade 2nd grade - 2017-18 SY - Multiple positions
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Date of posting||05/18/2017|
At Ascend, we seek deans of instruction who are passionate about both curriculum and coaching - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content and professional development they provide to teachers. The dean of instruction is responsible for inspiring teachers to excel in their jobs and motivating students to achieve their highest potentials. He or she provides instructional and administrative leadership to the teaching staff, oversees the implementation of the curriculum, coordinates assessments, and monitors students' academic performance. Deans of instruction at Ascend share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
We look for educators who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools.
Above all, we seek leaders who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for the children of Central Brooklyn.
Why lead at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a Brooklyn-based network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across nine schools. At Ascend, our mission is to provide an extraordinary education for the children of Central Brooklyn, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We are passionate about guiding our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world, and we foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Watch Ascend in action.
To create the kind of vibrant learning environments we want for our students, we invest heavily in our faculty, providing ongoing professional learning for all of our educators, who collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes for our students, their families, and the communities we serve.
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in beautiful, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our high aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
Leading at Ascend
As a leader at Ascend, you will grow deeply as an educator through ongoing training, support, and collaboration at every step in your career. You will also be able to express your voice and play a role in defining the future of Ascend, as we actively encourage Ascend school leaders to be part of their schools' and the Ascend network's development and growth. Learn more about leadership at Ascend.
The elementary school dean of instruction manages the effective implementation curriculum and instruction, and plans and executes whole school professional development sessions. Additionally, the dean of instruction will
- Observe, coach and mentor instructional staff to ensure that teaching is at all times intentional, engaging, and rigorous, and that teachers are creating a warm, structured, and responsive classroom culture
- Monitor and assess teacher performance
- Support the lesson planning process and provide weekly feedback to teachers on their lessons
- Manage academic operations for the school (including coordination of testing and assessments); secure additional materials needed to meet state-mandated curriculum and state testing requirements
- Identify problems in academic performance and recommend and implement solutions in a timely manner
- Build smooth and efficient working relations that positively impact academics; work closely and efficiently with the school director, the school leadership team, and Ascend Learning staff to ensure student success
- Reinforce positive student behavior and establish rapport with students; communicate individual academic progress
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary school dean of instruction reports directly to the school director. Additional collaboration occurs with the dean of students and the Ascend network.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- At least 2 years of teaching experience, preferably in urban school setting
- Demonstrated success using data to drive instruction, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
- Experience coaching teachers preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.