Associate Director of Mathematics
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Date of posting||09/07/2017|
The associate director of mathematics will work closely with the Director of Upper School to help develop Ascend's Common Core-aligned math program. He or she adapts, curates, and paces research-based curricula; creates and refines assessments; develops and delivers professional development in these curricula to school directors, deans, and math teachers; and, in collaboration with the schools team, uses academic data to adjust and focus curriculum development and professional development.
We look for professionals who are excited about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all students in truly public schools. Above all, we seek staff members who are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap for the children of Central Brooklyn.
Why join Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls. By offering a rich liberal arts education in a supportive environment, we animate children's natural sense of curiosity and prepare students to think on their own, thrive on their own, and engage the world as informed, responsible citizens.
In school year 2017-2018 we will educate more than 4,000 students at five lower schools, four middle schools, and one high school. Ascend's college-preparatory liberal arts curriculum and warm and supportive school culture equip teachers with the tools to achieve exceptional academic outcomes and close the achievement gap in Central Brooklyn.
Under the direction of the director of upper school mathematics, the associate director will:
- create, refine, adapt, curate, and pace commercial and “Ascend-developed” products that form the basis of the inquiry based three-part math program
- develop materials and supports or leads professional development for various members of the school's leadership team and teachers focused on mathematics content and the highest fidelity of implementation of the curricula
- utilize academic data to adjust and focus curricula, instruction, assessment, and professional development.
- develop and adapt Common Core-aligned formative and summative assessments in math.
- continuously research and study developments in mathematics education and integrate best practices of excellent schools into Ascend's curriculum
- recommend annual refinements to the math program based on network trends, feedback from school-based leadership, and research of best practices
- develop materials for, and support the facilitation of, professional development on the curricula to school directors, deans of instruction, and math teachers
- in collaboration with other members of the math team and school-based leadership, participate in math content walkthroughs and implementation visits to monitor implementation of the math program
- build positive and efficient working relations with the Ascend central academic team and leadership teams at every school
- collect and analyze videos of exemplary teaching practices around strong implementation of mathematics instruction and curate an initial body of annotated student work
- in collaboration with other members of the math team and the data and analytics team, analyze network-level data on benchmarks and state exams to adjust and focus instruction, identify network trends, and establish achievement goals
- create network-level (and school-based, if necessary) action plans to address math benchmarks and other achievement data
- in collaboration with other members of the math team, communicate important curriculum and assessment information to relevant stakeholders.
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The associate director of mathematics shall report to and collaborate closely with the director of upper school mathematics, other members of the math and curriculum teams, Ascend school directors, Ascend deans of instruction at each school, Ascend's director of data and analytics, and other members of Ascend's schools team.
- Bachelor's degree, with an advanced degree strongly preferred
- a deep understanding of the Common Core and New York's Common Core-aligned state assessments
- a broad familiarity with math pedagogies and programs and effective practice
- expertise in the principles of math instruction and research findings
- superb organizational, project management, self-management skills, and problem-solving skills
- excellent presentation skills and the ability to support, train, and coach educators
- passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
- insistence on academic excellence and rigor
- excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- a hunger for feedback and an openness to engage in a process of self-improvement
- alignment with the educational philosophy and core beliefs of Ascend Learning
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend Learning offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.