2017-2018 School Year - General Teacher Application - Apply now
|Organization||Ascend Public Charter Schools|
|Job Type||Full time / part time|
|Date of posting||05/18/2017|
Already thinking about applying for a teaching position that starts in August 2017?
Apply to Ascend Public Charter Schools! We are accepting general applications for the 2017-2018 school year.
Who do we look for?
We're excited about teachers who get fired up about learning - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We're passionate about teachers who truly listen to what students are saying - who create a space for students to think their own way through to answers, and praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value a hunger for feedback and the desire to engage in an ongoing process of reflection and growth.
Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn. Visit www.ascendcharterschools.org/careers.
Why teach at Ascend Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of urban, college-preparatory K-12 charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond. Today, we educate over 3,500 students at five lower schools, three middle schools, and one high school.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rigorous liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
We foster a school culture where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. We utilize comprehensive practices such as advisory and collaborative problem-solving that promote respect, develop leadership, and strengthen relationships.
Responsive Classroom at Ascend
Ascend is the first among urban charter school networks to adopt the Responsive Classroom teaching model in each of our schools. We foster a strong, safe, and warm school community that helps students develop social and emotional competencies through research-based practices such as morning meeting, interactive modeling, and logical consequences. See how we start our day.
Our school buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
In general, our teachers will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum. Additionally, our teachers will:
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
Teachers report to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification required for special education
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Ascend teacher salaries are above the New York City Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience. Please visit www.ascendlearning.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.